How do you discipline your child/children?

I dont believe in spanking. We use time outs and taking away things. Just curious what everyone else does?

jmgblair10

Asked by jmgblair10 at 10:47 AM on Mar. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• take away the PS3

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:47 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I think spanking should be used where appropriate and with reasonable force (not to care real serious harm) eg a light smack on the bottom with a quick loud word to scare them from doing something bad. These things usually have to be pretty serious, like trying to run across the road, constantly hitting a dog to the point where it may bite back etc etc. otherwise i think time out is more then sufficient.
    Weldo1983

Answer by Weldo1983 at 10:49 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I use 2 methods.. one I smack her hand. I make her give me her hand and smack it. Not hard enough where she has marks or anything like that. But just making her give me her hand and getting it smack normally works. I also ground her. I make her sit in her room with no toys, tv, or anything. She sits in the middle of the room and depending on what was done is how long. And honestly she has quit acting out. All I have to do is say "do you want to get grounded" and she shakes her head! Ive almost 100% cut out the smacking of her hand bc grounding seems to be the best thing that works for her!!
    annabelle092810

Answer by annabelle092810 at 10:52 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Time out in a corner (my daughter hates it!) Or a spanking, but only during reasonable times. Very rarely do they have to get a spanking, but there has been a couple of times I needed to get their attention quick.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:53 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Neither spanking or time-out.  My son is such a good kid.  He never misbehaves.  He shows respect to others.  This is because of the way we've raised him.  He knows right from wrong.  Now, running out into a parking lot or something like that, my first reaction would be to scream and grab him!  He knows not to do that though.  I see no reason to ever spank a child.  If you teach your kids the right way, you won't need to spank.

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 10:55 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I use time out and occasional spanking. Spanking is reserved for things that may cause harm, ie trying to touch the stove, trying to climb out the window. I also raise my voice sometimes but time out with some reasoning usually works with my guy.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 10:56 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I spank when he flat out defys me..other than that I take stuff away or make him sit 'on the wall' which is like sitting in the corner..
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 11:02 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Oh so difficult...
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 11:37 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I have never had to spank, but we use time-outs or taking toys away, ect. It has been very effective for my child.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 11:38 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• We do spank our six year old, but only on a rare occasion, very rare not even monthly. But, a good one that we just started is writing sentences. He just cannot seem to remember to chew with his mouth closed, or not interrupt my DH when we're talking. So five times each he wrote I will chew with my mouth closed and I will not talk when grown ups are talking. He didn't like it at first, so it still served as punishment, but he got practice writing as well, and he was excited about it in the end b/c we were so implressed with how well he was writing!
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 11:44 AM on Mar. 22, 2011