Does anyone know how to knit?

If so, how did you start? Are you a beginner or very experienced?
What's your greatest accomplishment?

Alexias30

Asked by Alexias30 at 11:02 AM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Addictied!!!!! I taught myself. Youtube is great. I went to "how to cast on" and took it from there. Also knittinghelp.com is great. I have made a million pair of mittens for just about anyone I can get to wear them. I am spending my summer making them for the homeless. I am working on some dino hats for my sons and I hope to get good enough to try a sweater.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:44 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• knittingI WISH!! Always wanted to learn. Well, not always. When I was a kid and my grandmother offered to teach me I was an idiot and declined. Oh how I wish I could go back and change that. Best of luck

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 11:05 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I love to knit. I'm lousy though. lol. Treat yourself to a knitting DVD and a beginners book. I hold the needles all 'wrong' and knit slowly (always will now I suppose) so don't go putting yourself under any pressure. It's a great way to relax. Knitting blankets is good as you can knit squares of different stitches to experiment and practice. It really is possible to teach yourself. Have fun! :>
    quietmo

Answer by quietmo at 11:08 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• My mom said she could not teach me because I'm a lefty. So,I never learned. My gramma made alot of blankets and scarves. She made me a poncho when I was a kid. I wore it all the time!!! My aunt knitted me a blue and white big baby blanket when my son was born!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:09 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I taught myself. Start with something simple, like a small blanket or scarf. Get a book or dvd to follow along the basic stitches. There's really just two main ones, the knit and purl. Once you feel comfortable with those, try out a few new things, like increasing/decreasing so you can create shapes other than recatangles or squares.

There's lots of books available in your local craft store for beginners. Avoid patterns found on yarn rolls as a beginner since they tend to use a lot of abbrieviations and limited directions.

I've been knitting and crocheting baby items for charity for the past 3 years.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:18 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I'm not that good at kniting all I can do is the basic stitch. I did make acouple of blankets though. I really like crocheting. I've made couple of blanks crocheting too.
    momoftwins250

Answer by momoftwins250 at 11:19 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I want to learn how to knit. I want to make my own scarves and blankets.
    Alexias30

Comment by Alexias30 (original poster) at 11:03 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I taught myself, but I can't do anything beyond a basic stitch. I can't even make a scarf. I prefer crocheting, though I am very envious of a friend who knits some of the cutest stuff!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I taught myself to knit using a CD from Joann's. www.knittinghelp.com is also a great resource. For me, I needed to be able to see the stitch being made, books didn't cut it. I'm not sure what my greatest accomplishment is, but I can knit just about anything. The only thing I haven't attempted is fair isle. Also, check out www.ravelry.com. Another great knitting/crocheting site :)
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:26 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I taught myself when I was pregnant...almost 4 years ago now. First thing I made was a baby blanket for my son, and right now I'm working on a lacy baby blanket for a friend, baby socks for the same friend, and a pair of mittens for myself. I've taught myself a LOT and I think I'm pretty darn good at it!
    I just learned from using the free patterns they have at Walmart from Bernat, actually... and then from a book my mom gave me.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 11:34 AM on Mar. 22, 2011