S/o Kids and money (edit)

There's a question in P&CE right now about a teacher guilt tripping his 8 year old students over money he spent out of pocket (voluntarily) on supplies for the class. While it's important to teach kids about conserving and about the value of money, at what age is it appropriate to teach kids to worry about money or to stress the lack of money in a situation? Should children be aware of money shortages and the potential negatives that can lead to, whether it's a classroom supply shortage or parents struggling to pay bills?

EDIT TO ADD:

Aside from the fact that this question has nothing to do with the whiny teacher, it is NOT a case of anyone "disrepecting classroom materials".  It's a case of a teacher spending his own money on supplies and then constantly reminding his students he spent his own money.  Please stop trying to make the question into something it's not.  All I'm asking is if it's appropriate to constantly tell children how tight money is and how desperate things are.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:05 AM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I dont think that should know anything about the sort until maybe 15 or so when they need to start getting ready to be come an adult. Although you dont want your kids not knowing the value of money or else they will want everything and anything and not understand why you cant/wont give it to them.... Tough question
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 11:09 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• If the students were disrespecting classroom materials, causing damage to them, I understand why the teacher is doing it. THINGS cost money to buy and MONEY to replace.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:21 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• First off, if it was my child's teacher doing it, I'd be in that classroom giving him a wth did he think he was doing speech.....
    I have always taught my children about money. I don't worry about money, we either have it or we don't, but me worrying about it and stressing out isn't going to make it magically appear.... My children (14,13,6,and 5) know that when I say I can't afford it, I mean it. They don't keep whining or asking for whatever it is that they want. My 13 year old, is learning how to save his money, and what it means to spend money on stuff that you don't really need....I think that teaching your child to worry about money is wrong...however, teaching them what money means and why it's important...is beneficial. Money isn't important...but the responsibility that comes with it is.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 11:22 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I dont think its something kids need to concern themselves with until they are old enough to earn their own money. All it does otherwise is add stress to them.

Answer by gemgem at 11:23 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• When your child starts asking/begging for things, that is the perfect time to get her/him involved with finances, family and personal.

Start them on an allowance to help them learn budgeting skills, maybe around age 6.

Take them to a bank to open a checking account (my parents took me when I was about 13 years old to open my checking account, and 8 years old to open my personal savings account).

More importantly, open your statements and go through them with your children, so they can see that money doesn't grow on trees, but is the result of hard work and saving. Children will "beg" for less and save for more once they realize that ATMs don't distribute the same amount of cash to everyone.

GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 11:35 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I don't think the family money situation should be dumped on them when they are young since there is nothing they can really do about it, but I don't think that being wasteful is okay at any age, particularly if money is a problem.

Kids DO need to know that things cost money and should appreciate what they have. I cannot stand when my kids will waste things at home or complain about going to practices that cost me $50 a month, etc. It isn't so much that we can't afford it, but that it sets them up for bad money habits in the future.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:41 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Kids should be educated about money from an early age, but not subjected to negativity associated with the lack of money as regards the family. Kids will naturally experience negativity associated with their own money and those are teachable moments between parents and children.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:59 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Being financially responsible is something I've been teaching my son about for as long as I can remember. He knows that EVERYTHING costs money and that to get that money someone has to work for it. He is able to make smart choices as to whether or not something is "worth it". I didn't read the other question but if my son was disrespecting the classroom materials I'd hope his teacher would do the same thing!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• While I choose not to work full time until my boys are in school full time, I do hold a degree in elementary education. It took me 4 years and a lot of time and money to aquire. I knew going in, that teachers make peanuts and I would be spending a lot of money out of my own pocket for my classroom. I say he needs to get over it, or find a different career. It is not the fault of the students he CHOSE to spend money, just like it is not my place to tell my kids I have a head ache or any other drama. He needs to get over it.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:47 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• OKAY THEN- If the teacher is just bitching about having to buy things, then NO he shouldn't do so in front of the students. Bitch to administration about the LOUSY classroom budget he was probably given. :)

I make my DD understand that her toys cost money, and many were gifts, and she needs to respect them. I don't discuss bills and our monthly budget though. It ISN'T her concern.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 1:58 PM on Mar. 22, 2011