What is a good way to make things more understanding to a child with severe ADHD?

My eight year old daughter battles and struggles with severe ADHD. It took us awhile to get her on the proper medication and dose. I do have two other children that do not have ADHD and have very limited behavior issues. However, with my eight year old she is very active and just does not seem to process things the way she should at this age. She is in after school tutoring, we work with her at home, yet she is still struggling with school work. She is also in classes at school for her weaknesses in education. She cannot seem to retain information she learns. She tends to be outspoken and in a sense I feel that she tries to pull the attention away from the areas that she lacks by having more of an opinion on things in class that seem to irritate other people around her. I have kids making fun of her and leaving her out because she is "different". Does anyone have any advice as to helping her and making a difference as well as improvements? At this point, she may have to repeat 2nd grade all over again, which I am okay with as long as it is needed. I am willing to do whatever it takes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Mar. 22, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Don't have any advice, my step son is severly ADHD and I always struggled with it - nothing I seemed to do helped - here's a bump and I hope you get some great advice.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 11:23 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Thanks. I have tried so many things and am not able to come up with anything that works continuously. It breaks me to see my daughter struggling and kids picking on her the way they do.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I find , being accepting ( harder than it sounds) of her limitations, don't push overly hard, but keep her challenged. Also talk to someone in the iep division of your school system, she may need another tack to understand the work, ie: left or right side learning, also, there is nothing you can do about how other kids treat her. Nothing. What you can do is make her understand she can either change her behavior, or learn to ignore others reaction to her. She sounds like a wonderfully strong independent girl! Encourage her to be herself...but being different does unfortunately have consequences... And she needs to make the choice.!
    izmy64

Answer by izmy64 at 11:26 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• my DH has ADHD and as a child he struggled with school but he said it was because he always felt like his brain just never stopped going. When he would be think of one thing and then his brain would suddenly turn to 20 other things. As an adult he does great, is successful. Sometimes when talking you have to just keep it short and to the point. Don't know if that helps but good luck.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 11:30 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I have been working on the accepting part. It is difficult, but I have noticed that the more patient I am the easier it is on her. I told her (and the girls that were causing drama) over the weekend that regardless of how others treat her, the best thing she can do is put a smile on her face and treat others they way she wants to be treated. In the end it makes her a stronger person. I also told her that there is no reason for her to target these people with "payback" because God always works in his ways. Paying someone back is not up to us, but to him. I am trying to help her with her anger towards these girls. I told her the worst thing she can do is put a smile on her face adn walks away like nothing ever happened. That will upset others more and she will look like the bigger person. She seemed to like that idea. The IEP division is on top of everything with her and real involved. Thank you so much for advice!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:31 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• thanks izmy64. One sentence stood out in my mind. She can either learn to change her behavior or learn to ignore other children's reaction to her. I am struggling with my 4 y/o, but I think she might understand this.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 3:38 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I haven't dealt with that, but good luck.
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 5:46 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Im dealing with ADHD with my 5 year old son now. Today was day one with medication, but now Im not sure if I want to do that! Doctors tell me without Meds my son might not be sucessful in life. That scared me. The best way I have been dealing with this is learning to accept the fact that my son isnt a normal 5 year old and Im doing everything that the doctors tell me I should do to help my son. Counceling,meds,other activities Im open to anything and any advice. Good Luck. This is one of the hardest things ive ever had to deal with. It breaks my heart to watch my son go through this.
    MySonMyWorld405

Answer by MySonMyWorld405 at 6:11 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Have you checked for other things she may have? A couple come to mind but I can't think of the names of them.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 8:06 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I don't have any advice, but good luck. I think a lot of times improvement just comes with age and more maturity. Hang in there.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 2:16 PM on Mar. 24, 2011