Is brining and marinating (a chicken/turkey) the same thing?

What is the difference and whitch one is better?

Some recipes will be very appreciated. Happy holidays!

pam_chick1

Asked by pam_chick1 at 7:51 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Food & Drink

• The only difference is that brining is using a salt solution. I personally use Martha's perfect turkey recipe, I started making it three years ago and I have to make at least one every Thanksgiving, her recipe is on her website. It's super simple but really good.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 7:53 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Brining and marinating are completely different. Brine gets into the actual flesh, marinade is a surface flavoring. I did the brining thing for a few years, then I was watching a show that was talking about dry brining, so I decided to give it a try. LOVE! it. All the benefits of brining (flavorful, moist turkey) without the mess.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 9:09 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I am a faithful and committed Turkey Briner!! Brining is what you do when you want to add moisture to meat....marinating is what you do to tenderize your meat....If you want a juicy moist delicious fail safe turkey....throw that baby in a brine for at least 24 hours....48 is even better.....
    saffirearies

Answer by saffirearies at 12:24 AM on Nov. 26, 2008