How to sooth a throat after a tonsilectomy????

My daughter had her tonsils taken out on 3-17 and her throat's killing her today. I've tried all the normal things. Popsicles,icecream,jello,crushed ice, and anything else in my fridge. I was just wondering if there was something that I didn't think of.

Terri102685

Asked by Terri102685 at 11:40 AM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Kids' Health

• SALT WATER GARGLE, SALT WATER AND MORE SALT WATER - that will soothe more than anything else! and did I mention salt water?
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 11:42 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I agree with 8Tinkerboo8!

Answer by older at 11:43 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Is it ikay for her to take Motrin? That should haelp with the inflammation back there . . . much better than Tylenol.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 11:44 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• ricola throat drops may help. i know they do when i have a sore throat and i love the taste of them. and also salt water lots of it.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:44 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• the dr. gave her hydrocodone liquid, but that doesn't even seem to help anymore.
    Terri102685

Comment by Terri102685 (original poster) at 11:46 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• If you can find Old Fashioned Candy somewhere, Horehound Candy is amazing for your throat! I had strep a while back and Horehound candy was the only thing that gave me relief!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 11:52 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Stay on top of the pain meds - if it says to give it to her every 4-6 hours, give it to her every 3 hours 58 minutes - before it can wear off (2 minutes less isn't going to hurt). Dairy products are NOT a good thing - it makes the phlegm thicker & harder to swallow. This is one of the worse pain days - it's normal. As long as she's staying hydrated, that's the main thing. If nothing else, use a clean spray/spritz bottle to mist her throat with cool water - it's what DH did.
    Anonymous

• Honey maybe? That's all I can add that hasn't been suggested. I hope she gets some relief soon. Poor girl!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:05 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Try lukewarm liquids instead of cold. Cold hurt my son's throat more. Make sure her room and the house is not dry. Run a humidifier while she is sleeping so her throat doesn't dry out. If Hydrocodone isn't working, then I would call the doctor to see if there is something else they suggest, that is a pretty strong pain killer.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:29 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• NO more ice cream!! Popsicles (non dairy kind) are fine but dairy is a big no no after tonsil surgery!! And no to the honey either.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 1:14 AM on Mar. 28, 2011