Do you ever feel inadequate as a parent?

Are there times that you panic? Become afraid of 'failing' your child?

I know someone who is down because she feels that she's failed her daughter. She did the best that she could but sh'e comparing her life to her ex hubby's new life w/ his new bride. (She really is a great mom!!)

Alexias30

Asked by Alexias30 at 11:43 AM on Mar. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'm sure all of us mommies have felt this way at one time or another, hon! It's totally normal! Talk to your friend about it and TELL her what a great mom she is to her babies. Everyone needs some uplifting praise once in a while.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 12:08 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• most of the time these days!
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 11:44 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I have those feelings toward later in life when my kids are into school and need help with homework and I don't have the answers. We may not all be able to give our children the perfect life and have all of the perfect answers for our kids but what is important is that we give them the best life WE as their parents can give them while trying to avoid comparison to others and how they life their life.. what is best for one child might be worse for another. just love them and do the best we can.

I'm sure i'll panic later in life once the girls go off to college or when they make a choice that I would have never thought they could make but I just have to hope that they heed the lessons learned and use them when the time comes.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:48 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• OFTEN! Even though I know that I am a good mom, it's only natural to doubt yourself at times!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 11:48 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Aww man :( Of course we all have felt that way.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 11:46 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I don't feel inadequate as a parent. Ya may be helpless at times but then I tell everything to ma DH about my elder one(I wish him to be more responsible). I know together we can help our kid to be more responsible......
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 11:48 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Yes. I've always known that every decision I make is going to affect my son's life but it can be such an overwhelming pressure, and now that he's not a baby any more it's becoming more real. I don't think I'm doing a bad job by any means, but I am scared of failing him. I do think to an extent that's a normal fear for parents.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:51 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• 8Tinkerboo8 I'm SURE you are a WONDERFUL MOMMY! Do you have someone to talk to?
    Alexias30

Comment by Alexias30 (original poster) at 11:48 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• i have felt inadequate as a parent before, but i don't let it control me. i take it day by day, and try to do the best i can by my kids. at the end of the day as long as you are a caring and loving mother, and your kids know it, you have done your job.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:49 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• The only time I have felt this way was when they became adults and I had no say in anything, feeling helpless and letting them make their own mistakes.

Answer by older at 11:50 AM on Mar. 22, 2011