Cooking question

I have spaghetti noodles and sauce, but no meat. What can I add to keep it from being so bland?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Food & Drink

• garlic, oregano, basil, Italian seasoning and pepperoni or sausage if you have any.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 11:49 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• do you have some garlic or onions? some red wine? So in a little olive oil sautee your onions (or garlic for shorter time) add some spices - italian herbs or oregano etc (whatever is in your pantry) and then add a little red wine - just like 1/4 cup if you have or marsala cooking wine. Reduce that then add your sauce and simmer it for a while on low to give it some flavor. You could add in canned mushrooms if you have it. OR if you have some carrots dice them up very fine and add them into the simmered onion or garlic and wine mixture - add the finely diced (really fine almost shredded if you can) and let the carrots cook in to your sauce for a few hours.When you serve your noodles put some mozzerella or parm cheese over your noodles and then put your sauce on top - garnish with a little cheese and I think you'll find a nice layering of flavors. I ALWAYS spice up store bought sauce and spruce it up. Good Luck
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 11:51 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• do you have any cheese? cheddar is especially good in tomato sauce. I dont see your delimma, we dont eat meat at all!!lol..herbs can liven up a bland sauce as well
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 11:48 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Sun dried tomatoes, tuna, sausage (Vienna), look in your pantry, I am sure there is something there you can add..

Answer by older at 11:48 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• if you have onions, dice them up and fry them up, mix with the sauce, and then add oregano, parsley, rosemary, and/or thyme... I also add seasoning salt, garlic powder, and pepper.... Cook your noodles, then toss them in butter with a little garlic salt or powder...instead of tossing your noodles in the sauce, just spoon the sauce over the noodles....
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 11:49 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• If you vegetables in your refrigerator then you can try making veg food for the day.......
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 11:50 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• do you have any chicken. weather breast or cut up you can shred it and throw it in. or just add some cheeses if you have any. not sure what else you have in the house but even if you just add a few spices you could liven it up.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:51 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Thanks for the ideas ladies!!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:51 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• If it's spaghetti sauce, you can use it on chicken. Weight Watcher's has a great Chicken Parmesan recipe. Just bread the chicken, lightly fry, or even oven fry it, then add the sauce and sprinkle some cheese on top.

Or, just add chunks of cooked chicken to the sauce and serve it....my guys love it this way, but I never call it spaghetti, I call it chunked chicken Parmesan.

Zucchini, and eggplant work great in sauce, if you have any frozen zucchini, it works well. I like to saute onions, mushrooms, zucchini, red peppers, whatever veggies I have on hand, and add them to sauce for a vegetarian meal every now and then.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:53 AM on Mar. 22, 2011