Did u suffer from Postpartum depression?

If so, how did you get through it?

Alexias30

Asked by Alexias30 at 11:46 AM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Fortunately, no. I was sure I was going to though. My mother did, my grandmother did, and I've dealt with depression/anxiety since my early teens but luckily did not have any kind of PPD.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:04 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• i think it was more of sleep depervation (sp).. but whatever it was I snapped out of it
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:50 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Yes I did. I started eating better, staying in well lit areas, and going for walks! I had to force it! But it got easier.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:51 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• i did. i've battled depression all my life, but nothing hurt like ppd. dh was a total jerk after the baby was born, and i think i was because he was scared to be a father. which is funny if you think about it, because he's already got two kids. anyway. i stopped sleeping, and i started having fainting spells, and that kind of woke him up to the fact that i pretty much had the world on my shoulders. i was able to talk to him about how i was feeling, and he tried his best to help me.
    i don't recommend that method.
    find someone to talk to, and allow yourself time to heal (if you're asking the question for yourself.) mostly lots of positive support, and just time. i felt very alone at that time, and if i had had one person that i didn't feel completely abandoned me, i think it would have been easier.
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 11:52 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• i suffered and still suffer anxiety. its unresolved from my pregnancies, but i deal with it on my own. sometimes i think i might need a therapist but i just take it one day at a time. getting out helps, whether its going for a walk, taking the kids to the playground, going for a drive, anything. being cooped up inside only makes it worse for me. if it ever gets to the point i cannot deal with it on my own, i'll seek counseling. i dont want to take meds, that would be a last resort. are you suffering from it? im sure there is a group on here for that. joining might help you get the support you need from other mothers who have been there.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:53 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I did,. i have had anxiety and depression all my life also - it was tough, I cried a lot, ended up having bonding issues along with PPD and a colicky child - all that put together along with severe sleep deprivation because my son I swear hated/hates to sleep lol!! i Was a walking cry machine mostly.. I had the thoughts and got on meds ...it got a bit easier but not great..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:57 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I did WITh my first kid.
    monteza3

Answer by monteza3 at 12:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Umm I breastfed too and still had PPD with my children. So yeah.

With the first we didn't know what it was and my mom called it baby blues. I was a wreck for a good 6 months. With the second we knew what it was and I had a ton of support. People calling, stopping by, lots of baby help and a counselor that came to my home once a week. I was lucky enough not to be put on meds. I agree with the well lit areas, walks and healthy eating.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 2:32 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Nope. I breastfed.

Women who breastfeed are much less likely to get PPD (not that it never happens). All that oxytocin & prolactin being released from breastfeeding, just makes you go lovey-dovey crazy.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:05 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Na.
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 11:49 AM on Mar. 22, 2011