Everyone says breastfeeding works wonders for them losing their bellies..

why is that not the case for me?~ `lol..` im on my 3rd baby and i lost my weight w/ my other two after i STOPPED nursing.. anyone else? Maybe I ate so much while i was nursing!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• in the first few days, it helps bring the uterus back to normal size. breastfeeding releases your oxytocin hormones, causing small contractions, shrinking the uterus back down. so if your belly is still big after birth from the uterus, it will help with that. as far as losing weight, that process is more gradual, regardless if you breast or bottle feed. logically it makes sense though, your baby is taking calories right out of you. of course, you do need to eat more so you don't become dehydrated. if you eat healthy and exercise, you will lose weight quickly. good luck =)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:09 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• It helps the uterus contract. But other than that? Your mileage may vary. As many moms DON'T lose as do.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:10 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Everyone's body is different. I always start to drop the weight at around the time they start solids, but not really anything before that. Could be hormones. Not sure, but at least eventually it comes off.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:22 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I'm like you lol, maybe I eat a lot while nursing too. I pump most of the time and I"m sooooo hungry everytime I finish pumping so no way that I'll lose my belly anytime soon. I only gained 10 lbs during pregnancy, but I gained even more weight after the baby. I might just go on diet when I'm all done with nursing.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 2:25 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Ya it does while nursing.....
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 12:07 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I was the same way! It didn't do anything for me to lose weight! I always worried that I wasn't eating correctly and that the baby wouldn't get enough if i dieted a bit.. so i waited until the time was right and lost all the weight i wanted to
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:14 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I have seen women lose a lot of weight with breast feeding. But also they are eating better for their baby.

Sorry, but some women can't keep their mouth shut, they think they can eat anything because it is okay to be over weight after having a baby.

I lost 40 pounds (fast) and only eat 3 meals a day.

You have to watch what you eat no matter what.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:19 PM on Mar. 22, 2011