What is this anxiety? Is it normal?

Last night my 2 year old wouldn't sleep so I pulled him into bed with me and we cuddled. Out of nowhere I got this overwhemling fear of losing him and I started bawling. Thoughts just filled my mind like what if something happened to him? what if I lose him? how would I live without him? What if I can never hold him in my arms again? I tried to calm myself down by reminding myself that I have his whole life to look forward to, but then I started bawling again thinking that someday soon he will no longer be a baby and I won't be able to cuddle in bed with him and instead of enjoying it I couldn't stop crying. Has anything like this ever happened to anyone else? I don't know why all of a sudden I just felt so SAD.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• every now and then sure, it's normal.. it's the maternal feeling that all moms feel toward their kids. if it keeps up I would talk to someone about it but for a once just passing moment smile and be glad it's over and that you love your child enough to worry.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:16 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Is it possible your period is due or that you're ovulating? Hormones can make us do things that seem very strange. Unless it paralyzes you for a long period, I'd chalk this up to normalcy.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:16 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• These anxieties are somewhat normal, what is not normal is letting them take over your life......

Answer by older at 12:16 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Im not help... it happens to me all the time but I almost did lose my son. (near drowning. Not breathing and NO pulse, had to give CPR) Hes alive and well now, but not a day goes by that I dont think what if or what if something shall happen again. Best of luck!

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:17 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I occassionally have bouts of worrying about things like this that I have ABSOLUTLY no control over. I always just try and remind myself to enjoy the moments that I do have and quit worrying about what may or may not happen. Live one-day at a time and appreciate every blessed moment. G'luck mom!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 12:22 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I am glad that gdiamante brought up hormones . . . ovulation and PMS are very well known for wreaking havoc with our emotional states. Also, stress, in general can build up and come out as a fearful thoughts. We have so much love and so many protective feelings regarding our children, that it makes sense that stress would emerge as feelings about them.
    Chart your hard days on your calendar and see if you can find a hormonal pattern. If it is happening randomly, or happening alot, see if you can speak to your doctor or a counselor.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:25 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Do not spend good time worrying about something that might or might not happen, enjoy the moment and stop wasting it with all these anxieties that will eventually make you sick.....

• I really wouldn't worry about it being a problem if it's an occasional. I think we all get overwhelmed at times worrying about our children and it's completely normal. However, if you think it happens to often, it may be an underlying issue =]
    jspenny2705

Answer by jspenny2705 at 3:32 PM on Mar. 22, 2011