Chores?

What age did you start your kids on chores and what chores do your 4-6 yr olds have.

JenzAmomOf2

Asked by JenzAmomOf2 at 12:16 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my 5 year-old helps bring dirty laundry (in a hamper) to the wash room and helps put away all of her dishes. I wash her dishes and she puts them away.. same deal with her clothes
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:19 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• we started around 4, set the table, clear the table, take laundry downstairs, take recycleables, unload dishwasher.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 12:21 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• My girls started doing chores as early as age 3. I had them pick up toys, make beds(even if it was made up wrong)just the effort. Hang up coats/jackets, put away shoes. We have labeled storage containers in their closet. That way they were able to keep things neater. Now my 5 year old automatically does it, but the 7 year old still have to be reminded.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 12:27 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• My 2 yo has chores. She is responsible for taking her clothes to where the laundry goes. She can put away some of her laundry. She helps feed the cats and cleans her room as well as picks up her toys from around the house. She helps take the recycling out. I don't believe in waiting until a certain age to start doing chores. We started early to avoid the issues that come with starting later.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:30 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• At 4 my daughter helped me with laundry and folding things, by 6 she did dishes with me. By 10 she was cleaning the bathrooms and vacuuming on her own. By 15 she did her own laundry cleaned her own room and bathroom and did dishes on her own.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• My kids are 4 & 6... we started around 4.... they clean their rooms, pick up their toys, cloths into the laundry baskets, shoes lined up under their beds, clear their plates from the table, help set the table...

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:55 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• My kids have helped clean up their messes since they were 2. By 3 they were expected to do most of it on their own. By 4 they had a set list of things. My youngest dd is about to turn 5 and her chore list is: keep toys picked up in every room, keep books on bookshelf, make bed (at least put pillows and blankets on her bed as neat as she can), dirty clothes in the hamper, fold and put away her clean clothes, dirty dishes in the sink, wipe up any messes made while getting her food or eating, sweep floor in kitchen if she made a mess, wipe with a wipe if she spilled something, clean the bathroom once a week (she doesn't have to use the chemicals yet, though...just baby wipes), unload the dishwasher if asked (yes, she can do it on her own and has since she turned 4...if she can't reach to put something away she leaves it on the counter), help take trash out, help carry groceries, help in the yard, etc.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:57 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• My 5 year old loves to help in whatever way she can so I usually assign her the small task such as bringing me the bathroom trashcans on trash day or letting her help me unload and reload the dishwasher.
    wpmommy0104

Answer by wpmommy0104 at 6:00 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• At age 2 but it is just for fun and learning. I do not expect a two year old to do dishes.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 10:34 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• 3
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 5:46 PM on Mar. 23, 2011