My DS won't stay down for a nap, help?

Ok so my DH goes out of town for work and has been gone for 2 weeks.He is home for this week but my DS stopped taking naps right before he came back. he is 22 months and I thought it was a control thing but yesterday after an hr of trying he went down. today not so much. Even though I know he is tired. we have always had a bedtime rutine as well as one for nap. We have quiet timen 15 minutes before nap time, then read a book, then nap. Same with bedtime only his bath is before quiet time. Today we read 3 Dr. Suess books and he stil keeps getting up. I have been telling him to tell his toys nite nite cuse they are tired too and makeing sure everything is put away. I also put a baby gate up to discourage him fromcomming out of his room. I just went in to check on him cuse it was quiet and he was looking out his window. Bedtime is fine though. but if he doesn't have a nap he is whinny and cranky all day. He will even crash at the dinner table. Any ideas on what to do?

Liamsmom09

Asked by Liamsmom09 at 12:18 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is 28 months and some days he fights his nap. We stay with the schedule - if he's still awake an hour after he goes down then he can come out of his room and watch a video on the couch. There has only been 1-2 days that he didn't fall asleep within an hour.

Answer by missanc at 2:12 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• if he feels like a nap great, but if now I wouldn't push the issues. LO did the same thing. at one point she was going to bed at 630 and it all worked out just fine. Just sounds like you are fighting a loosing battle if he's that set on not taking a nap.

Anonymous

• Let him be. As long as he's in there quiet,don't push it. The power struggle is what he wants

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:41 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• forget the nap fight and send him to bed earlier.
    looks like he's done with the nap.
    Anonymous

• He already goes to bed at 8? And he went down for one yesterday?
    Liamsmom09

Comment by Liamsmom09 (original poster) at 12:30 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• thanks ladies
    Liamsmom09

Comment by Liamsmom09 (original poster) at 12:46 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I've been fighting the same struggle off and on for months now with my 11 month old (can you beleive it?!)...so I put him down for a nap but put some toys in there so if he wants to play he can or he can nap....I find he plays for about 10mins and then is asleep. maybe try that? I put in toys taht he ONLY gets during nap time...no other times of day and it keeps it novel and exciting for him. Good luck!
    beepbop1

Answer by beepbop1 at 2:51 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• He actually went down for a nap...later. i'm wondering if maybe he can just go longer before having to take a nap now?
    Liamsmom09

Comment by Liamsmom09 (original poster) at 3:02 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Does he still take a morning nap? If so, sounds like it's time to let that one go and only do one nap a day. If he's already on one nap, try letting him stay up all day and then put him down 1-2 hours earlier.
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 8:06 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Thanks for your help ladies.
    Liamsmom09

Comment by Liamsmom09 (original poster) at 8:09 PM on Mar. 22, 2011