C-section vs Vaginal Delivery

I just read a post that reminded me of some drama I dealt with years ago. After having my children both by c-section, laid up in the hospital bed after baby #2 I had someone comment on me having my babies the "easy" way. Granted this was my younger sister in law who had no children but it stung. I found having to have c-sections for medical reasons to be very disappointing and desperately wanted to experience child birth and labor. Did any of you moms go through anything like this? I always compare it to people as reading a book you are loving and so into and then having to stop on the next to the last page... you just want to finish it.

ConcernedMom141

Asked by ConcernedMom141 at 12:33 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Pregnancy

• How we birth matters.
    It is very relevant.
    I do agree with you!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:24 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• My sister said the same thing - she had 2 vaginal births and I had 2 c-sections. I asked her how long they left her morphine drip in after her deliveries. She asked, "You had morphine drips!?!" I said, "Yes, I wonder why the hospital only gives that out for c-sections? Do you think it might be because they involve more pain?"
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 1:49 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I know. I had a c-section with my son due to medical reasons, and a lot of people told me how easy it must be. I did recover fast, but let them try having a major operation and then having to go home and take care of a newborn. Childbirth isn't easy no matter how you do it!
    PhoenixsMommy10

Answer by PhoenixsMommy10 at 12:37 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I agree what GoodyBrook said....
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 12:39 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I agree with what GoodyBrook said....
    AnuMeha

• ive had two c-sections and it is definitely not the easy way. i had awful recovery after my first c-section. my baby was 10 pounds and it hurt so bad to carry her i would be in tears. it took weeks for me to get back on my feet. granted the second c-section was much easier than the first, but the mental stress of being cut open and then having to take it easy for a week after was still not easier than the very easy vaginal delivery i had with my first child. my vaginal delivery was by far the easiest and less painful. and like someone else said, childbirth isn't "easy" either way.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:39 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I had 3 c-section that the way to go .
    monteza3

Answer by monteza3 at 12:40 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I am currently almost 31 weeks along with my 3rd child and have never had a c-section so I can only imagine what you are feeling or going through. While I do not anticipate having to have a c-section with this pregnancy, I am well aware that things don't always go as planned so it would be foolish of me to not even consider the possibility of being cut open in order to deliver this baby. That said, I think what you are going through is absolutely normal and the feelings you have are likely shared by many moms who have had the same experiences you have. I will say this though; whether you endure a vaginal delivery or a c-section, NEITHER option is easy. I can't even begin to imagine what recovering from a c-section would be like but I absolutely think it would be way more difficult than recovering from a vaginal delivery. Your SIL sounds completely uneducated (and rightfully so if she doesn't have any children) but (cont)...
    jewleedotcom

Answer by jewleedotcom at 12:40 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• My SO says that I didn't give birth that I was birthed. I think that is crazy. I went into labor and had an emergency c-section. I desperately wanted to have vaginal birth. I hated being pregnant but I knew that no matter what happened it would be painful. With my next child I will have been far enough from my c-section that I will be able to attempt a v-bac. No matter what people say or think having a c-section isn't the easy way out if it is something that you didn't want in the first place. It is so much more traumatic emotionally for us Mom's that wanted a vaginal birth.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:41 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I think you are well within your right to tell her that what she said was unfounded, highly offensive, and thoughtless. Tell her exactly how her comment made you feel and then have a heart-to-heart discussion about how much you'd rather have been able to deliver vaginally. She may not even be aware of how insensitive her comments were. Good luck mama! (And if you ever plan on having more children, I wish you nothing but success if you decide to try a VBAC!) [ :
    jewleedotcom

Answer by jewleedotcom at 12:44 PM on Mar. 22, 2011