Should i send my barely 5 year old son to kindergarten next fall or hold him back a year?

My son is in his second year of pre-school. I am torn if I should send him to kindergarten next fall or hold him. He would be a young 5 when starting kindergarten (birthady sep. 8th). His pre-school teachers now say academically he is ready. My husband thinks we should hold him back a year so he is older, more socially ready and physically not the smallest child. My husband wishes his mom had held him for a year. He says he felt like he was always trying to keep up with the other kids (especially in high school).

alohamom2boyz

Asked by alohamom2boyz at 7:59 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• What does he think? (your son) Does he feel ready to go? Does he like school? Do you want him to go?
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 8:05 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I'm having the same struggle with my almost 5 yr old (July 2nd). It's probably not going to go over well considering he's not had any preschool and we're in a custody struggle with his mother right now. She hasn't had him around any other kids his age ever. Any suggestions are welcome at this point by any moms out there.
    DRCMAC

Answer by DRCMAC at 8:11 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Teacher and Mom here...

I have a young 5 and this year we sent him to half a day private K......next year when he is a young 6....we will send him to public K. Its called academic redshirting, and many many parents are choosing this for their children.

We chose it for our son b/c of emotional and social maturity issues.....not that he has any...but just to keep him on top....not on the bottom. He is well ahead of the game academically.

I believe it is a smart choice most of the time. :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:15 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I agree with Mom2twobabes
    I am a teacher as well.
    moviestartaal

Answer by moviestartaal at 8:20 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• DRC MAC.....just read your post.....I would CERTAINLY hold him back into a half day program. There are many good ones out there like head start, or maybe a local church or preschool. Check around. He would be overwhelmed by a full day of K.

People really dont realize that K has changed a LOT over the years. It has become very academic and children are expected to arrive in school with a good bit of knowledge to start. Along with social and emotional issues like I mentioned above.

Good Luck!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:26 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Check with your school district first. We really wanted to hold our son back one year but here they wouldn't let us. He turned five 6 weeks after school started. We were really disappointed esp as we are not real happy with the district anyway.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 8:33 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Every single mother I have ever known with boys says they either held them back or wished they had started K later than they did.

I decided to hold ds back (after checking with my district) and it was the best thing I could have done.
    happymom612

Answer by happymom612 at 8:52 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• My dd will be 5 just before the cutoff for our county and her pre k teachers say she is academically ready. I think it is great that she knows "enough" to go to kindergarten, but I really would like her to be confident entering public school. My husband and I are still talking about it, but I really want her to do the Junior Kindergarten that her preschool offers. I have spoken with the teacher and she told me this is somewhat of a practice kindergarten. Most children can even read by the time they are done there. That would be great if she had the upper hand starting out.
    Another thing I am thinking about is how young she will be when she is in junior high and high school. She would graduate at 17 years old and that just scares the crap out of me! Lol....
    Lots to consider beyond just her Kindergarten year I guess....
    AlwaysAmi

Answer by AlwaysAmi at 9:20 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I held my daughter a year and have no regrets. Remember don't think about just right now, but in the long run. My daughter would have been the youngest/smallest in high school, but what really tripped the decision for us is that she would be a month into being 18 when she goes to college.
    A friend told me, "Children are under so many more pressures these days, let them be children for as long as they can." Make the decision from you heart - good luck.
    GNMom88

Answer by GNMom88 at 10:12 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• When my boys started I put them both in early and one did ok
    and the other had so many problems adjusting that i regretted it they both took a year break from public school when we were in mexico and when we came back did so much better I was so glad my daughters had late birthdays and were able to start later : )
    koolest_mom_of4

Answer by koolest_mom_of4 at 11:00 PM on Nov. 25, 2008