What do you think of online schools?

Like, Kaplan University? It says it's accredited. But I'm a little nervous about going through an online school. Do employers take degrees from them seriously?
I'm just so sick of the school I've been attending. But it's the closest one to me, and with my hubby due to deploy in a few months, I'm short on time here. What I've been going for, doesn't look like will happen. Not with rules changing. So I'm changing direction. So, what do ya'll think of online schools? And out there that are reputable?

Raine2001

Asked by Raine2001 at 12:35 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in

• bump

AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 12:38 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I hate online schools.. yes it's online but most schools ask you to go into the actual school for your finals. i would just rather be there in person to see what i need to see and do what i need to do. if i were an employer i would take a applicant who was physically at school over an online degree.. just shows more dedication
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:39 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I think the larger more well known schools are fine - as long as they are accredited. HERES THE CATCH - look at how much they charge per credit hour vs. your local community college - it's ridiculous. I want to finish my degree and I've decided I'm going back to my local community college and I'll take as many classes on line through my community college as I can - it's like $35 per credit hour vs. $900 per credit hour for like Kaplan or Univ. of Phoenix - for ME the price of Univ. of Phoenix was too cost prohibitive to finish my degree there.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 12:41 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• In most cases employers don't take them seriously. And you have to look into local laws, for examples schools like kaplan or penn foster or stratford will try to get you to sign up for Cosmetology or another course like that, saying Become a cosmetologist and earn $xx,xxx....but what they don't tell you is that those courses are NOT recognized by your state to legally become certified and legally be allowed to practice in your state. You need a specific amount of course hours and hands on hours to take the certification exam. These schools don't tell you this. Even with Medical Transcript and other medical related courses, they don't tell you the fine print is you won't qualify for a job in the field
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• So, I go to an online school University of Phoenix which is both regionally and nationally accredited. You want to have the regional accreditation that way if you transfer to a regular campus or school (meaning not geared toward working adults like these online schools advertise). Most are pretty expensive because they are private ranging from 14k/per and up, don't make that mistake! I don't know much about Kaplan, but where I go they have military rates which are still more expensive than a community college or regular in state tuition for a regular school, but much cheaper than lets say ITT Tech. You can probably check into using your DH Gi Bill if you haven't already :) Also you can apply for pell grants which is free $ - truly free I get it :) Good luck
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 12:44 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I agree with Mom2Jack04 - A LOT of these Tech schools are a complete waste of money - thats why you have to make sure the institutions like University of Phoenix and are accredited - I disagree with her general statement that employers don't take seriously - a bachelors is a bachelors as long as it's from a credible source (yes a bachelors from a large well known college of course may "look" better but if you are comparing local community college vs. univ of phoenix - i don't think it matters). Now back to tech schools or the cooking schools (oh don't even get me started) these poor kids wasting their money on most of the culinary schools are throwing tons of money away when they should really just get a job in a kitchen and work their way up. So Tech schools - mostly rip off but on-line degrees have their place - just make sure about what you are getting - and AGAIN as I said look at huge cost.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• It depends on the school and what you are working towards your degree in. You have to do your research. Online is generally much more expensive. You pay for the privacy and convienence of your own howm. My husband finished his degree online through Colorado Tech. It was a very rigorous, fast pace curriculum. If you do not have the self discipline it is the wrong choice for you. Some people just HAVE to sit in a classroom.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:48 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Wow, I hadn't thought of all that. Guess I'm stuck with the community college here that just want money. And seems to not much care for the military and us spouses. SO many people have told me they feel this way! I talked with one of my instructors from Virginia about a problem here, and even she said it sounds like they are trying to fluff up enrollment. (they tried to say I didn't take a lab, which I did, it said so clearly on my transcript PLUS you can't take lecture without lab for A&P).So, I'm stuck. I hate being stuck!!
    Raine2001

Comment by Raine2001 (original poster) at 12:51 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I'd prefer to sit in a classroom. I have a hard enough time paying attention there, I can't imagine how difficult it'd be at home!! AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! This blows:( I will see what I can do about taking classes on Ft. Bragg. See how many I can take there, through a university. But other then that, it will be a drive to get to the campus. Thank GOD my parents are in town now, and can help.
    Raine2001

Comment by Raine2001 (original poster) at 12:55 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I go to Strayer University online and they are really good. Everything is online, even quizzes, midterms and exams and you have your books right there with you to use. Some lectures are interactive, and you get a week to finish assignments. They give you a choice of how many classes you want to take per semester. I only take 2. I don't have to travel to any of their campuses to take classes or tests. They do have a fairly high tuition. So far, I've got about 3,330 dollars in loans racked up and it's my 2nd year. But I also get a full PELL grant. I think it really just depends on what fits you best.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 1:02 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

Next question in
MAT test

Next question overall (Relationships)
How attractive is a man's anatomy? adult content