Anyone else with Group B Strep?

Anyone else test positive for Group B strep about week 37 of pregnancy? If so, how did you choose to address it during delivery?

Baby is a few weeks away from being born, and I'd love to hear your experiences.

GoodyBrook

Asked by GoodyBrook at 12:46 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Pregnancy

• (cont'd)

...Since the amniotic sac was the last barrier between me and my baby, the last thing protecting him from my Strep B, I was induced at this point to get him out before he could get the Strep B from me. And yes, I had the IV antibiotics.

When he was born, he did not have Strep B.

Good luck to you as you make a decision! I don't know how accurate any of this is, but it is what I was told or what I understood at the time (Nov 2006). Who knows, maybe I misunderstood or misremembered something, or maybe something has changed since then...
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 12:51 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I had it with my first. They just give you antibiotics through your IV. Just make sure you remind them when you get there.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 12:49 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I did. When I was pregnant, I refused all tests unless there was actually something we could do about it if we got results we didn't want. (Something besides terminating the pregnancy I mean, b/c I knew I would never do that, no matter what the tests said). Since there WAS something I could do about Strep B, I got that test. And I was positive. As a result, we decided that I would be on IV antibiotics during delivery, to protect my baby from getting Strep B from me as he was born. There wasn't a big chance that he would get it, but outweighing that, for me, was the fact that if he DID get it, it woul dbe very serious and possibly even deadly.

I had planned a very natural birth, but this was going to have to be one exception. And then as things turned out, this made a huge difference in how the birth went. At 38 weeks 5 days I was leaking a little bit of what might have been amniotic fluid. (continued)...
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 12:49 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I did. But for me, the day of my doctor appointment where I would have found out, I went into labor that morning. My son was born so fast, they started my antibiotics right before he was born (active labor only 29 minutes).....and then started HIM on antibiotics within about 5 minutes of being born.
    SouthernMama08

Answer by SouthernMama08 at 12:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I tested positive with my first baby. Just like kaylan said, I was given antibiotics when I got to the hospital to delivery and that was that. No issues.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:55 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I tested positive with my 3rd baby I had IV antibiotics
    april_f

Answer by april_f at 1:12 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• sorry never happened to me good luck
    mommie_of02

Answer by mommie_of02 at 4:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I tested positive with my first child ( I think it's relatively common). My labor was induced because I went over my due date and the doctors thought my son was gonna be big ( though he was only 7 lbs 5 oz) and when they gave me the IV with pitocin they also gave me antibiotics for the strep B. Strep B is really no big deal if it gets treated.
    tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 5:30 AM on Mar. 24, 2011