My son is only 3 weeks old and I tried supplemting breast feeding with formula.. and now its turned into him only eating formula. I would like to get him to at least have a couple feedings be breastmilk, but my breast are barely producing anything now. What should I do

jessie1031

Asked by jessie1031 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mix formula and breast milk together and pump more to produce more.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Sadly, I had done this, and ended up having to keep her on formula. They really don't want breastmilk after bottle because formula is sweeter, and they don't have to work as hard from a bottle. It's really difficult to turn them back. But it can be done with lots of patience. You'll probably have to stop the formula.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Take away the bottle and nurse, nurse, nurse! You will produce enough to feed him if you do that.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 12:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Oatmeal is great for increasing milk supply. Also, Whether or not he's nursing you should pump EVERY time he eats. Breastmilk is all about supply and demand. If you don't use it you lose it. Pump every 2-4 hours if you want to continue to have milk. Hope this helps.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 12:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• You can try pumping and mixing the BM in with the formula. The more you pump/feed the more BM you'll make.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I don't agree with supplementing IF your child is getting enough milk from you. For me - breast feeding was a commitment and I stuck to it no matter how much of an inconvenience it could be - I pumped and had a supply standing by for bottle feedings. Can you start pumping to kick in your milk supply? If you want to breastfeed you have to REALLY stick with it because everyone will gladly help you take the easy way out. Find a mom who can support and encourage you who is ALSO solely breastfeeding. It's a personal decision - if you want to supplement with formula then you take that risk of losing your chance to breast feed. Only you can decide what is right for YOU.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 12:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• You should nurse more! It is the best way to keep your production up! I do'nt know your situation but if you can't nurse more, then pump as much as possible. check out kellymom.com for lots more info. Good luck! :o)
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 12:53 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I had the same problem, our daughter is now 2 1/2 months, just keep trying. It gets aggravating and depressing, just don't feel like there's anything wrong with you or baby b/c there isn't :) Keep pumping like the other mommies have suggested, and don't give up!
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 12:53 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Formula is not sweeter than breastmilk... at least., most formulas are NOT. Musicmom, your baby probably didn't want to work for the milk. It's not the formula but the ease of the bottle that they typically love.

OP... Get in bed with baby, skin to skin. Do nothing but nurse for the next day. Supply SURGE by tomorrow. The only ways for milk to disappear this quickly is for you to have your breasts removed or for you to take estrogen.

Count dipes. 6 changes a day is your target. NOTHING else counts vis-a-vis supply... only that dipe count.

Drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group. We've been through this hundreds of times with many many many moms. Completely doable.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:57 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I had a simmilar situation with my daughter when she was a baby. I tired everything. what I was told by the the lactation that the baby needs to suckle in order for the milk to continued to be produced. The pump only does so much. There is something in the baby'silvia that helps mom produce more milk. I suggest talking to a lactation specialty. good luck

MominCa

Answer by MominCa at 1:20 PM on Mar. 22, 2011