My son is getting circumsized tomorrow. What should I expect??

And I don't want ANY bashing for getting it done. I'm doing it for religious purposes. What should I expect? My doc said he won't even feel it. Is that true?? Will they take him into another room or will I be in there with him?

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 8:03 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't give out scarey videos her, that's just insensitive. Yes he will feel it. I would suggest you not be in the room, stay right outside the door. I'm warning you, your heart will break for the time being. I suspect I felt worse than normal because of post partum depression and hormones.. just a heads up. It's not that bad, there isn't hardly any blood when they're done.. it just looks really red. You have to change the diaper about every hour or two, and use tons of vaseline, so get it ahead of time, and use tylenol as directed .. don't listen to them.. if you think he's in pain then give it to him. Other than that there's not much you can do. But after like a week it's healed almost completely. He will probably sleep a lot afterwards, that's normal.. it's a coping mechanism for pain. Bring tissues with you, because you may need them... also bring a pacifier so they can give it to him. It'll be ok mama.. don't be scared.
    s.teph

Answer by s.teph at 11:55 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• How old is your son? Mine were both done before leaving the hospital, the first one went beautifully and was healed faster than his belly button. My second, the Dr. cut so deep that there was actually concern he may have nicked the urethra. I don't know about having it done in an office, but they CAN feel it and I would insist that they use something for pain or take him elsewhere.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 8:06 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Your son does feel pain, so yes, he will feel it. As for being in the room, that will be your choice. Be prepared for lots of diaper changing, cleaning the area, and putting stuff on it. He will probably be sore and irritable for a few days. I never had to deal with any of that, but have learned about it.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 8:08 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• My poor baby was cut at 4 and a half months we chose to wait because the doctor said if we did it before a month old they would not use local anthesia, the only time my little champ cried was when they numbed it up and then he was fine! What method are you going with because they have different ways of circimmsizing (sp?) my son had the plastic cup that fell off about a week and a half after he had it put on, very very minimal bleeding and expect some soreness and tenderness of course. Good Luck with the little one
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 8:11 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Oh my son will be two weeks old tomorrow.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 8:11 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I would have the Dr explain to me in great detail how they dont feel it.....what other part of your skin wouldnt hurt to have cut....hmmm....cant think of any....?
    Anonymous

• Yes, he will feel it. Your doctor is full of crap. Some doctors will let you be there, and others would rather you not be there. There are options available for local anesthesia. I believe the AAP recommends that circumcisions be done with an EMLA cream (a topical numbing cream), followed by a subcutaneous ring block (small injections of local anesthesia given in a ring around the top of the penis). Check out the AAP site. I found that really helpful when I was preparing for my son's circ.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:12 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• you shouldnt really expect anything, they take the baby to another room, i usually have it done right away after i had my sons but i remember you from your questions before you had your son, so im guessing your home now. So i dont know where they will have you wait since you didnt do it while you were in the hospital. I didnt get to watch none of the circusisions, but i do know that when my sons came back to me after getting circumsized, they were already done crying so it must be just a quick process and the pain must subside quickly.
    you will just need vasoline i believe and thats it to take care of it.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:17 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• when i worked in a peds practice we did local at the bottom of the penis and the docs did the circs as early as 2 days old. They do feel it and I have found that the parents handle it better if they are not in the room. It takes only minutes for the procedure, but expect that he will be sore for a few days after.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:25 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Expect your heart to break when they take him to go and do it. I felt so bad for my poor baby! Ug! It's harder on you than it is on him, he won't remember it. Afterward they will wrap a gauze pad impregnated with Vaseline around it. They will give you some to take home. At every diaper change you will pull back GENTLY on it and wrap the gauze around it. After the first two days or so you will just use regular Vaseline at diaper changes. Pull back on his penis and use the Vaseline at every change for at least a few weeks, even after it heals. It is possible that it could reattch and he would have to have it done again and nobody wants that! Good luck!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:29 PM on Nov. 25, 2008