When did your child's binky go "bye-bye" ?

this question is only for those who's children used binkys and didn't magically stop taking them at 6 months old.

my 14 month old only takes hers at naptime and bedtime. it's been this way since she was about 11 months, she was really only ever interested in it when she slept. i would like to break the habit altogether, but at the same time don't want to deal with the crying. she shares a room with my 27 month old and i feel that it would be unfair for me to let her disturb her sister's sleep. i put them in the same room together when they both started sleeping thru the night, so one bothering the other has never been an issue. they go to bed at the same time and wake up at the same time.

i figured i would start with naptime first. well, i put them in there 15 minutes ago and they are in there talking to eachother.. LOL. no tears atleast right?? i figure its not the end of the world if they don't get a nap today.

so anyway, what age and how did you go about it? cold turkey or slowly taking it away? admittedly i let my oldest have it at night til 16 months and with my middle daughter i took it away around 13 months with no issues.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 1:18 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• Son and daughter got rid of those things and bottles at 11 months. They did not have a choice. One day it was there the next day gone. It messes up their teeth and speech (my opinion and experience from my siblings).
    KoolMom617

Answer by KoolMom617 at 1:21 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• We limited it to the crib at 12 months. With my first we "lost" it one night and he screamed but never asked for it again. With my 4th, he just lost interest in it around 20 months.

Answer by missanc at 1:46 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• We went cold turkey, the pacifier/bottle monster came......kind of weird, but it worked. And they were out of sight out of mind, nothing mommy could do because I didn't take them. Oh and that was at 1 yr.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 1:21 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• sadly not til 3 although they only had it at nap and bed and then at 3 it was cold turkey!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 1:22 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I started taking it at about 18 months -- and only then because it was starting to affect her teeth. I did it slowly -- Started by removing it from her mouth as soon as she went to sleep -- at night and then nap -- then kept it away from her at nap and eventually bedtime as well. It took maybe 3 months before she didn't ask for it. But -- right after I started restricting it, she would find one that she had hidden and hide beneath a blanket and really work it over! lol -- I could hear that sqeeky noise it makes from the other room!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 1:24 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• My Mom took my blanket at about 4 or 5. :(

I take care of a little guy who has a blankey and a binkey. Although we never have been without the binkey one time he did forget his blanket....and I have a nice talk with him at nap time and assured him that everything still is going to be o.k. without his blanket. I talked about what we would do after his nap...it was going to be ok and he went right to sleep. They will be o.k. without it btw Mom. It does not hurt them to cry a little or make a little noise. They already know how to soothe themselves just they think that the binkey/blankey does it but it is not. She can do this.
    Anonymous

• My son started spitting it back at me at about 10 months lol
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 1:20 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• 7 months old
    shanda0914

Answer by shanda0914 at 1:22 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• 3 months. He was sucking on it one day, then just spit it out and never wanted it back.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:24 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• All three gave them up on ther own by 4 months. i don't even think my third child waited that long.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:37 PM on Mar. 22, 2011