My two year old doesnt listen! help?

ever since my 22 month old started seeing her biological father a few months ago shes been throwing hissy fits, hitting people, screaming at everybody... telling people to shut up and calling my husbands grandmom fat ? she wasnt like that until he started getting visitation.... any ideas on what to do to help control her?

stickstick27

Asked by stickstick27 at 1:19 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would take away her favorite toys and try to get her to understand that acting that way gets her no where. Kinda dealing with the same thing with my four year old and i KNOW he knows better lol. Good luck mama!
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 1:21 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• thank you. ill try it.
    stickstick27

Comment by stickstick27 (original poster) at 1:25 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I have been through this with my now 3year old son. he never called anyone fat yet.But he hit, kicked, pulled hair, threw toys at me or anyone if he didn't get what he wanted. But the first time he did any of it i warned him to stop or it was time out and toys taken away if he threw it at me. If he didn't listen after the warning he sat in timeout for 2mins, and as he was sitting in timeout i blocked off his toys with a gate and shut the cartoons off. When his timeout was done i told him why again that he was in there, hugs and kisses, and when he asked why his toys were blocked i told him because u threw it at mommy and so u don't do it again i blocked it for the rest of the day and all u get to do is sit on the couch and read books. He got the picture real fast and it stopped the problem after 2 days of this.
    he is 3 now and i still do the same method but of course a longer time out, (not as often though)
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 1:26 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Could be her new environment,could just be typical "terrible twos"
    My 2 year old was the sweetestes little girl..until yesturday..all of a sudden she turned into a booger butt! LOL
    Doing some of the same that you have described. I've been getting down to her eye level and talking to her, firm&simple statements. When she gets totally out of control, I've been scooping her up and sitting her in her highchair and then I walk away from her and when she calms down, I go back and talk to her. Seems to be working..thus far,lol.
    Go have yourself a nice cup of hot soothing tea,put your feet up, take some tylenol if you need it,lol. Listen to some soft music while shes sleeping, read a book. It will get better momma HUGS!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:28 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• hahaha i wish i could relax while shes napping. i have a 3 month old also and unfortunatly they are not on the same napping schedule YET. lol.
    stickstick27

Comment by stickstick27 (original poster) at 1:31 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• When she does any of these things, you spank her bare leg hard enough that it stings. She will cry. You then tell her that you love her too much to allow her to be hateful, disrespectful, or disobedient to you or to anyone else. She is old enough to learn that even if it's tolerated at her dad's, that kind of behavior is unacceptable when she is with you. It's called tough love, but it's worth all that it takes. You only tell her once, too. There will be no counting, no threats, no nothing. It's either instant obedience or it's the consequences.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:45 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• It sounds like she's having trouble transitioning, or she's upset by the change. Along with telling her 'no' when she does these things, and telling her that these things hurt mommy's feelings, give her some extra time with you, and some extra lovings(not at the same time, of course lol). Hope this helps!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:03 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• my husband and i have been trying to give her more one on one time especially since having our son three months ago.... she is a little better since we started doing that but still has a major attitude.
    stickstick27

Comment by stickstick27 (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• sounds definately like all the changes in her life are upsetting to her...maybe she is feeling like now that there is a new baby she gets sent away to "dads" b/c mom doesn't want her. I don't know, but mayby tring the approach (love and logic) "I love you too much to let you act like this" (followed by whatever discipline you use...time out, loose priviledge of toy or whatever), and when discipline is over always return to why she had to have that done and that mommy will always love her no matter what she does but mommy cannot allow those behaviors. I don' know, maybe it will help...just reminding her that you want her to be with you and miss her when she's gone and will love her no matter what...maybe she needs to hear that too. Good luck. I think if we knew the answers to these ?s we wouldn't need a forum to ask them right?
    beepbop1

Answer by beepbop1 at 2:46 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Let her know it is NOT ok to do those things. You love her when she's mad and you love her when you're mad. She throws a fit - she goes into time-out for one minute away from everybody and her toys. Hitting people, screaming, rude behavior - all of that. One minute for each offense, even if you have to do it back to back. She does it in public or at someone's house - time to leave. Can you ask her bio dad to get on board?
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 8:02 PM on Mar. 22, 2011