Would Love Your Opinions

I will try to make this as short as possible. My husband and I filed bankruptcy, and we can't buy house for 36 months (3 years). We are currently living in a house my dad owns and doing a rent to own option with him (if we choose to). The house is old, but large. I eventually want a 5 bed, 3 bath house. My husband got a new job an hour away, with a large pay increase. My brother currently lives with us and pays us rent, and I watch a kid full-time and make $500 a month.

So here are our options:
#1 We can live in my dad's house, in our home town, where we feel comfortable putting our boys in the schools and letting them grow up here. My dad's house needs a lot of updating, and the kitchen needs to be renovated badly! The house is large enough to eventually have 5 beds, and 3 baths, but it will require a lot of money! Plus, DH's commute will be 60-70 minutes one way to work, on a good day. My brother can continue to live with us, and I can continue to watch the kid for the extra money.

#2 My dad has offered to sell his house and buy one in a town closer to my husband's work. We can still do a rent to own option, and the town we are looking into is much cheaper so we can get a NEWer house for even cheaper, that won't need any updating. However, we would be unfamiliar with the schools (they will be smaller which DH and I like), and the town, my brother wouldn't move with us (it'd be too far from his job), and I'd no longer be able to watch the full-time kid. However, I could always find another kid to watch.

What would you do?

MichaelsMom330

Asked by MichaelsMom330 at 1:20 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Money & Work

• I would go with option #2

Answer by older at 1:23 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Move and do the cheaper option. You can research the schools there :)
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 1:24 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• #2 sounds like a better option for you. Old houses that needs lots of updating are not anywhere near as expensive as buying a home out rite yourselves. Who's to say the Dad putting out all the money to get you a home in a new town will be any better of a house or wont need even more things done to it as well? Life is a risk, always. Change can be good. There's always an adjustment period to a big more, and only an hour away is NOT that big of a change. Not like moving 8 states away from where you were raised is.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:25 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• That's a tough decision. What would happen if your dad couldn't sell his house. Have you looked at the schools and checked out everything in the new town?
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:26 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I'd do #2. I'd hate to have to make an hour commute twice a day every day. lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:00 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Option #2.
    That hour commute gets old very quickly. And the hours away from home and children and you begin to take a toll.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:18 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I'm thinking #2- talk to some people in that area and ask them what they think about the school district- you could probably find some on CM.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:34 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Option #2 sounds better BUT do your research on the schools now. Find out how they are rated, visit them, etc. There are ratings online and you can find out how big the class sizes are, what the HS grdauation rate is, etc. As far as option #1 goes.......I know a family whose husband spends the week in the town where he works. He leaves every Monday morning and comes home every Friday night. They have done it for years. He lives in an inexpensive motel during the week. Just ideas........GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:37 PM on Mar. 22, 2011