What is your opinion on pain medication while giving birth? adult content

I know alot of women opt out of 'feeling' the pain. I don't think I would change a thing going natural with my daughter. My body knew exactly what to do and how to do it to make it easier on myself. I've heard alot of 'people' say that nurses don't like when you don't take the meds because they scream or act in a way that they wouldn't have too if they just took them. I didn't even cry, much less scream. I don't think it's fair that some nurses could think that kind of thing or have an 'in and out' mentality, or try to take away the wonderful feelings of childbirth, you shouldn't mask that experience, take it in! I realize it's a business, but we are strong women and giving birth is a beautiful natural thing. Don't you sometimes feel like they are telling us we don't know how to give birth anymore without the assistance of medications?? After I had my daughter I was getting shoved into the shower and forced to move quickly so they could get the next one in. Even though I could feel giving birth and it wasn't as painful as one might expect, the pain afterwards was worse, and pushing me around like an animal on a breeding farm is just absurd!

I think some of you are getting the wrong idea about what answer i'm looking for here: I just want to know your experience and why you chose medication, or why you didnt. To clear up some confusion, yes I had a bad experience at the end, no I don't think woman are wrong for choosing medication, no I don't think every nurse or hospital out there treat woman like this and no i'm not on a power trip because I was able to give birth without meds. Thanks

Humanerror99

Asked by Humanerror99 at 1:34 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• i went natural with my first and had epis for #2 and #3. I’m glad I went through the pain, made me feel very powerful, but also glad the drugs are available. I feel if you need them, take them.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:36 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Yes I feel that some doctors and nurses are like that, and you should not do something just because a nurse "wants" you too, after all it's YOUR birth. But, I don't think there is anything wrong with a person that choses to use pain medication during labor.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 1:36 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• You do not win extra points for going through the pain, and it does not make yuo any less of a mother for taking them.
    catsmom1993

Answer by catsmom1993 at 1:39 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• As I had two c-sections, I felt that pain medication was essential.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 1:39 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I think if more people fully understood the risks involved with the drugs and the benefits that come from a natural birth, more women would choose a natural birth.

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:40 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Iv known SOO many women while preggo say they wouldn't take pain med's only to go into labor and demand and get them. It really depends on your threshold of pain tolerance. Childbirth hurts. It just DOES. Some very brave women tough it out. God bless em. But I got drugs.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:40 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Yes.. They kept encouraging it with my pregnancies. You know that labor did not hurt me. You are right, the afterbirth pains were worse than labor.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 1:40 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I am very happy for you that you had a great birth experience all natural but everyone's experience is their own and not everyone will want the same things. There are women out there who would criticize the fact that you had your baby in a hospital at all and not a "natural home birth" I'm just saying to each their own. Taking pain meds doesn't make someone less of a mother. I am sorry to hear about what happened after you gave birth that is horribly inconsiderate of them to treat you that way. I chose to have my daughter in a very small hospital where I was the only one in labor so I got all the attention. I chose to take the drugs but I am SO glad I did. I was able to calmly relax and enjoy every second of her birth in a way I know I wouldn't have been able to if not for the epidural. I also had to have pitocin (sp?) which makes things far more intense. Like you, I wouldn't change my choice for anything
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 1:40 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• i made up my mind that i wanted the epidural before i even went to have my baby. no nurse or doctor aided in the persuasion. i was asking for it before it was even offered, cause i feared getting passed the point of being able to get one so i wanted it ASAP. my other two were c-sections so it was kind of mandatory. i think if a woman wants an epidural or other types of pain meds, she has the God given right to do so. same goes for a woman who wants to go all natural. neither makes one better than the other.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I would never in my life choose to be in pain. I had three completely pain free deliveries and wouldn't change it for the world. I personally don't understand why anyone would choose to be in pain, or to exhaust themselves because of it... When my kids were born I was able to be with them for hours, awake and alert because I was able to sleep through the majority of my labor...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2011