If your child/ren took a pacifier...at what age did you take the pacifier from them?

My daughter takes a pacifier, when she turned 12 months she started primarily only taking it at bedtime.

What age did you take your child's pacifier? she's 18months old now and I want to take her pacifier but my parent's (her grandparents) are saying that I'm being cruel and there's no reason to take it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• lol i just asked the same question =)

i let my oldest have it til 16 months and it was a battle. my middle daughter i took it at 13 months and it went very smoothly. she never shedded a single tear for it. now my youngest, 14 months, still takes it when she sleeps but i am looking for ideas to take it away. havent decided if im going cold turkey or not yet. BTW i dont think its cruel to take it away, they need to learn to self soothe at some point.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:38 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• We never took it. We did however cut them down to only sleepy time (naps and overnight) at 18 months. From there on we allowed them to self ween. My boys are 3 & 4 and neither of them have them now, so obviously it worked. We simply saw no reason to force the separation before they were ready.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:40 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I took my daughter's paci away at 2 yrs old. Her pediatrician said it could effect her teeth. She didn't even seem to miss it and I had been so worried that she would have a hard time letting go. My advice is to go "cold turkey" when you do. Good luck.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• At 12 months we limited it to the crib only. My first we "lost" one night right after he turned two. My 4th child lost interest in his around 20 months.

Answer by missanc at 1:44 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I had a big problem with taking my dd's binky but she always had to have a bunch at a time so we started around 18 months and worked our way down to only one. Before that one went missing (she was always losing them) we told her the binky fairy had come and took her binkies and gave them to the new babies at the hospital because she was getting to big for them and now they fairy had to give them to the new babies. It took a few nights of her crying to sleep while we held her/rocked her but she was fine after that. She was almost 2 1/2 by that time. Oh & i should mention after about 18 months she was only allowed to have it for naps and bed then only for bed. Good luck! I know how hard it can be.
    CrazyMommy87

Answer by CrazyMommy87 at 1:44 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I am a big believer that parents are in too much of a rush to take things away. And for what? My doctor always said as long as they don't go to kindergarden with it. Let kids be kids and take it when you know the time is right. When kids line up for high school graduation do you know which one had the pacifier the longest.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 1:45 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I started when my daughter turned one and she was also in daycare so for me it wasn't the easiest. I had the biggest problem because dc was not on the same page. After time went on we only allowed it at night. Then eventually we went cold turkey and she cried at night. On the weekend she went to my parent's house and I hid the pacifier in the bag and she never whined for it and then as time went on she "forgot" about it. I think she was around 12-13 months. Good Luck!!
    NewMayMommy_25

Answer by NewMayMommy_25 at 1:51 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I wanted my kids to take binkies cause I think babies look so cute with binkies lol, but my oldest would only take it for the first 2 weeks then she wouldn't take them anymore. My youngest took hers for a couple of months then she wouldn't take hers anymore either, but then one day she found one somewhere don't know how she found it or where, but she was 14 months when she found it so I let her have it only because she was still on the bottle and I couldn't get her off that and I thought it would be easier to take the bottle away if she had something else. She got off the bottle at 15 months, but I continued to let her have it until she was a little over 2 and my neoigbor had a baby so we told her he had nomore binkies and he needed one so she gave hers to him then she found a couple other ones and without us telling her she just gave them to the baby lol.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:57 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• now I know my bio. dad's dd took one until she was 6 years old. Yes 6 years old. I thought that was crazy. She was in kindergarden and they had to send it to school with her a couple of times (the teacher suggested it) because she called it a tit tit so ya that sounded bad so they had to give it to her so that she wouldn't say that anymore. They ended up I guess hiding it in the bottome of the toybox and told her it was lost so that was it, but I don't understand one why they didn't just throw it in the trash and 2 she was old enough to say no you don't need that it is for babies. I think it was laziness to be honest cause no 6 year old in kindergarden should have one imo
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 2:02 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• We took it when DD was two. She was fussy without for a day or so, but after that, she forgot all about them.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 22, 2011