LAZY?

How the h*ll do I get my 8 year old son to stop being so lazy. He will be 9 in September. I won't look for his shoes for school but if he is going to a cousins for a sleepover he gets dressed, packs and finds his shoes. He never completes what I ask of him unless it is something he likes to do or benefits him. How can I get him to be less lazy and more responsible?

KoolMom617

Asked by KoolMom617 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Put him in the car in his pj's or underwear, whatever he wears to bed. Start driving to school with him like that?
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 1:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• i would do what the first poster said.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 4:23 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• boys are so hard. Being consistent with what you tell him and consequences. I like to explain why it is important they complete their priorities.
    Anonymous

• Dont let him have the things he wants unless he does whats required of him, chores, homework things like that. Take away what he loves, playing with friends, video games the computer or TV if he wont do whats required of him. It's THAT simple, but it's not easy to stick with as kids are really good at manipulating parents today.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:45 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• "Put him in the car in his pj's or underwear, whatever he wears to bed. Start driving to school with him like that? " < lmao

Thats a tough one. I was a "lazy" kid but I grew up to be a very ambitious and focused adult. I'm sure it's frustrating, I know it drove my mother nuts. Maybe providing the right incentive to make him see the value in getting things done. Sorry I couldn't be much help GL
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 1:46 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• ooooh girl it is so good to hear that my son is not the only one that does this mess...mine just turn 9 in dec and i swear he don't give a crap what he looks like...i have to tell him a million times to wash his face, brush your teeth and on and on.lol...girl when you get some tips then please pass them my way...because i also need him to stop daydreaming in school.
    mztxdelta

Answer by mztxdelta at 2:12 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Behavior charts, when he accomplishes whatever you have set up for him to do, then and only then does he get fun privileges.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 3:31 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• My 10yo daughter is like that. Basically she has to sit in her bed until she is ready to do whatever it is she has to do. If her laziness makes her late for school she's grounded for the rest of the day which means she does her homework and then sits in her bed the rest of the day with just a book to read. She'd rather sit in her bed than actually do chores so she spends a lot of time in her room. Not sure what else to do. There's nothing left to take away. We have a chore chart with 1 special chore each day for each kid. They earn minutes on the computer. She won't do any of the chores because if she doesn't do them every day she loses time and it's not worth it to her if she's only going to get 1 hour to play so why do any of them in her mind. She's the most frustrating kid ever.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Im going threw this with my 8 year old daughter. We actually just had a long talk last night and I let her know that we would be going back to how things were when she was 5 and 6. Everything from changing showers to baths and me standing over her when I need her to do something. I told her that mabey in couple months we would try treating her like a 8 year old again. For now as long as she is being lazy and not turning n homework it would stay like this.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 4:12 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Home rules chart and chores chart. Make them reasonable and there are no privileges like going to a friend's unless the rules are followed.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:27 PM on Mar. 22, 2011