Is it bad to eat deli meat when you are pregnant?

meesh23

Asked by meesh23 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Yes. Deli meat can carry listeria which can lead to an infection and possible miscarriage. You can eat it if you heat it up. That will kill any bacteria in the meat.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 3:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• as far as i know it's not, did your doctor say it was? i ate it when i was pregnant. sandwiches was my best friend lol
    MommaSyrup07

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 3:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Microwave or toast it.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• It needs to be heated to the point of steaming before you can eat it.
    MamaMimi237

Answer by MamaMimi237 at 4:01 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• My doctor told me it was fine as long as I wasn't swollen, because then the sodium was too much. I ate plenty of it until I did swell, and my baby and I are fine.
    Cheryn

Answer by Cheryn at 4:10 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Yes, it's bad to eat lunch meats if you do not heat them up first. There is harmful bacteria that you do not want to indegest while pregnant! Just toss it in the microwave, or heat it up in a frying pan...
    ekshorty

Answer by ekshorty at 4:18 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• i never had a problem with it but i always heated it before i ate it
    onwhotmama0721

Answer by onwhotmama0721 at 4:55 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• the nitrates are also bad...in addition to the listera...
    sounds gross but you might check out the soy (yes, tofu) based meat products at the grocery....they dont taste bad at all and are sooo good for you and the baby....
    afeather

Answer by afeather at 5:29 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Yes, look up lysteria on the cdc website, pregnant women are high on the list of contracting this more than anyone else and if you do get it it could harm or kill the baby, i love turkey sandwiches and went the whole time without and made my guy go out and get me a big sandwich for my first meal after the birth. i was looking forward to that for months! I found I was not willing to take that kind of chance. good luck
    georgesmommy31

Answer by georgesmommy31 at 11:50 PM on Jul. 19, 2008