Reading

Don't get me wrong I think this is a great idea and everything I was just wondering if other schools do this

what do you think about schools giving certain grades for kids reading so many books and getting a certain amount of points during the school year(and if they don't reach the goal of points then they get a lower grade)?--here they have what they call AR points and the child sets a goal for themselves and has a certain amount of time to reach that goal and if they don'tget the points goal they set they get a lower grade

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 1:53 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• It should be extra credit not the grade, but too many kids just wont read today, so maybe there is a motivating reason behind this rule today?
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:55 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I don't think it's right for them to downgrade the kids that don't read as fast, I think it should be more fun than mandatory!
    lil_shannie

Answer by lil_shannie at 1:55 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Well, I personally think a reading goal is a good idea.....as long as they have some way of being sure that the students have actually read the books.

Reading is so important, and anything you can do to get kids to read more is great.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:58 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Comprehension should be most important.
    I think they should look at the kids individually at their reading level and then be graded by the number of books. My daughter reads at a much higher level than her actual grade so she reads much larger more complicated books but it takes her a little longer.
    Anonymous

• I haven't heard of that. They don't do that in my area.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:54 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• my son loves to read it just takes him a little longer with some of the books then it does with others
    Christmaslver68

Comment by Christmaslver68 (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• My son's school does the accelerated reader program. I like it.
    Kristen1010

Answer by Kristen1010 at 2:38 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• In dds' class, the kids are on different levels, like J, K, L etc.and they pick books at their level to read and then they take a test on the computer, and then if they pass they get a sticker...dd loves them.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 3:03 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• That's how it was at a few of my schools growing up. I liked it and usually had the most AR points in my grade. Once I had the most in the school. I think it's a good things because I think that kids need to be reading more, and the AR competitions appeal to kids because it's like a game, in a way.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:47 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Oh and for those who mentioned comprehension and making sure the child has actually read the book, from what I remember about AR you take a test on each book (sort of a quiz) that asks a bunch of questions about the book, and then you get points for the number of questions you got right. So, if they don't read the book and/or understand it, it will be evident based on their scores.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2011