is it too soon

my son is 3 months and 8 days old and every time i feed him he drinks 4oz i time and then 6oz another then about an hour later he wants he cries for more i wanted to know i it's too soon to put baby cereal in to his milk just a little bit .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would check with the dr first, he may actually have reflux--babies with ger it makes them feel better to eat, but he more they eat the more their tummies hurt
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:21 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• If you put the cereal in their milk they can aspirate (breath it in) it into their lungs. It forms up like concrete in there. For safetys sake I sure wouldn't. His tummy wouldn't be ready yet either.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:00 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Most babies have a hard time digesting anything besides formula/breastmilk before 4 months old and now so many peds want you to wait until 6 months. It wouldnt hurt to talk to your dr. to see what he says, but most peds will only have you put formula in a bottle if your baby has a problem gaining weight. They might have some great suggestions you havent thought of though!
    AlwaysAmi

Answer by AlwaysAmi at 9:24 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Talk to Baby's doctor about any diet changes, he or she can help you determine when your baby is ready for more than just milk. Have you tried letting your baby have as much milk as he wants? Some babies just eat more, and some have certain times of the day that they're hungrier. My little guy is also three months, and he'll eat 9 ounces in a flash, or only eat two ounces other times.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 9:40 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I started giving my daughter cereal at 10 days old and she slept all night. I think its a great idea.
    nikki.smith

Answer by nikki.smith at 10:09 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• i did it at 6 weeks and highly recommend it. my DD was also very hungry!
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 10:20 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• My son is also 3 month almost 3 and a half but he has been eating cereal for a coulpe of weeks now and applesauce and bananas and he loves it and he still breastfeeds just the same every 2 hours or so. So I would worry about it, just give it with a spoon it a bowl because its not good to put in there bottle. He may spit it out a lil bit but he will get used to it heck mine looks forward to "dinner time"
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 10:56 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Give him the 6 oz if he needs it. Next month give him rice cereal on a spoon. Never use a bottle for solids unless your Dr tells you to. Good luck!!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 12:55 AM on Nov. 26, 2008