How do you train your dog not to jump up on people?

My dog is a sweetheart, but she always wants to put her front paws up on people. It can be embarrassing when she does it to a guest and gets dirt all over them. She loves people and is very good otherwise, but I can't seem to get her to learn not to jump up on people. She is a big dog and loves children, but doesn't realize that she can knock them over if she puts her paws on them!

shakleegirl

Asked by shakleegirl at 2:02 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Pets

• I tell my dog no..down in a firm voice...and I put an open hand in her face like you would for stay. Then step forward to stand over her as if to dominate her. Tell her this and have control of her prior to her reaching the people. Otherwise she can not come to the door. You are the alpha
    Anonymous

• Most trainers will tell you to turn your back around and say no at the same time. Don't re-enforce the behavior. THen when they are sitting nicely, give them positive attention.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:13 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• We trained our dog with a ZAP collar and a remote control for it. Sounds cruel to some people, but pain or fear of it was the only thing that our dog responded to when she was little. She is now almost 2 and she is just the best trained, well mannered dog in our area, or so all my neighbors think she is. She dosnt jump on anyone now, wont come near the kitchen when Im cooking or preparing food, dosnt get on the table to steal food and stays away from the table when we are eating. Whatever training method you use, you have to be consistent with positive and negative reinforcement. It will also not happen overnight. Training a dog takes time. LOTS of time and patience
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:13 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I agree that it takes time and patience to train your dog, but what I can't stand is having to train other peoples animals every time I go over to their house. I have friends that say "Why doesn't Boomer jump up on you? He does on us every day!" Ummmm because I kicked him in the gut the first time he did it (I was pregnant and didn't want a St. Bernard on my stomache) and he learned never to jump up on me!
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 2:28 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• first say her name so she know you are talking to her then say no or down use a word she already knows and don't pet her until she has gotten down for a few secs so she feels she is being rewarded for being down and you have to do this when she jumps on you too she will not understand that its ok to jump on you but not other ppl it will take time and patience try not to yell or spank her she will learn just like children =)
    AmandaV.

Answer by AmandaV. at 7:34 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I would ask her to sit and I would turn around. treat her. Depends on the dog and what they respond to. Verbal correction. GL
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 10:58 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Turning around is useles, they will just jump yuor back.
    You need to tell your pet no, and down, you will have to be very repetitive, if your not patient it wont go anywhere, be firm, be dominant. Be careful giving treats when they sit down, they can take advantage of you, jump back up and sit again just to get a treat, they are smart little creatures.

Treat them when its obviously they were going to jump, but stop them selves, you dont need to necessarily give them food for treats, love and prise is just as good, to much food can cause health problems.

be consistant too or you will throw al prgress out the door!

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 1:35 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• This is going to sound mean but it really works..most people allow their dog to be the leader of the pack(family)...especially big dogs will take advantage of it...You need to be the leader/boss. when my dogs were extremely excited and would jump forcefully on people.. I taught them to stay down by this method it works quickly and very effective..I learned this method from a profession dog trainer...as your dog goes to jump on you... lift your knee high enough and firmly so that her it hits her in the chest as she jumps at you... ( I am not talking about kneeing her over aggresively) and tell her your command word that means "off" / "down"; she will learn quickly not to jump... please note that not only one person in the family can do this...it has to be done by everyone in your family...she needs to know it is not acceptable to jump on anyone... soon she will see you just lift your foot and will immdiately back off.
    TraceyLu

Answer by TraceyLu at 4:54 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• My dogs react very well to my verbal commands. I am very firm with them, but not mean or loud. My husband, on the other hand, cannot get them to do anything. He either yells or is too sweet sounding. I actually have a new problem with my dog jumping on people because a few people that come over often like my dog to jump on them and encourage him to do so. I've had to tell these people to either stop making the dog jump on them, or they can stay outside when they come over. I agree that telling the dog "no" is the best way. Also, when it is me, I will move my leg up or step to the side so they are unable to jump on me. I also refuse to pet the dog once he's tried to jump on me. If they try it a few times with guests, I make the dog leave the room. (One of my dogs will leave on command, the other has to be walked out.) They realize their behavior isn't getting them the attention they want, so they'll stop jumping.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 10:49 PM on Mar. 29, 2011