Do you let your girls (maybe boys) have the play makeup?

my niece got a play makeup when she was 4, actually she got a lot of makeup for that birthday. I know it's play makeup, but she was 4!
both me and her mommy were looking at each other like 'now what?' when she opened it because we both thought she was too young.

One day mommy told her she could wear some of it to church, she wanted to wear the blush too, but mommy said no. Just some lip stuff. Mommy found her under the table hiding while putting on the blush. Niece started bawling when she got caught, going on that she wasn't going to be beautiful without it.

She asked me what I thought, and I told her that maybe the best thing to do is take the makeup away until she got a little older, that's pretty much what happened for a while.
The idea of a 4 year old thinking that she wouldn't be beautiful without makeup scared me!

she got the makeup later, but I think that her young guy friends like putting it on her more than she likes playing with it. A couple of them are brothers and they do things like each make up a side of her face, or each paint her nails on one hand. then they fight like crazy over who did the better job!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• My girls wear the play make up they are 4,7,10,11 and they also know it is for play only , we will have a slumber night and fix our hair put on some make up and goofy clothes then dance around, but they are not allowed to wear it out and they are fine with that cause they know it is only for play dress up purposes.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 2:33 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• My daughter had it at 2. She never really cared much about it. Sometimes she likes to put it on. I just tell her she can't go out like that. I don't make a big deal about it. At 7, she now has around 40 lip glosses! They come in every goody bag. She rarely wears it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:35 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• wow.
    I let my girls play with make up. It's fun for them. But I make sure that they understand that they don't need make up to be beautiful. Giving them that idea will open the door for insecurity...and they are way to young to be exposed to that unnecessary emotion.
    I don't every talk about appearance. Just showing how confident you can be is the best thing for them.

So, yea, I would let them play. They know that its just for fun and if they want to wear it out, then I'll let them. I don't see harm in that. But once they start shouting out that their not beautiful without it, then I'ma have to pull the plug.
    scottshoney

Answer by scottshoney at 2:37 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• chapstick and plastic play makeup sure.. if it isn't plastic it isn't play make up.. it's real make up and I wouldn't have ever let my DD see it again! NO make up in my house until their first high school dance!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:39 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• But I make sure that they understand that they don't need make up to be beautiful. Giving them that idea will open the door for insecurity...and they are way to young to be exposed to that unnecessary emotion.

I don't know WHERE my niece got the idea you needed makeup to be beautiful. she picks up a lot of stuff for me, and I certainly never told her that. Far as I know mommy didn't either. go figure.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• yes- but they could not wear it for dress up at home- not to the store, library, school and most definitely NOT to church!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:00 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• *that sholud say they could wear it at home...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:12 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• YES! I am a very appearance concience person, and my 4 girls want to be like me! I think t is fun to teach them, and play with it!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 6:33 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• My daughter absolutely does not play with makeup. She understands that it is not allowed until she is older. I don't want her to look any older than she is. I let her wear lip balm, but not flavored.
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 10:00 PM on Mar. 22, 2011