Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Information on prenatal care?

Im 17 years old and just found out that im pregnant. Im not at all ready to tell my dad ( mom is deaseaced). I dont plan on telling him for an other month or two, but i want to get started with prenatal care so i guess the question is if its possible to get prenatal care without my dad knowing?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Pregnancy

Answers (6)
  • No. If you're on his insurance,they need him there at your appointments

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

  • If you're going to keep the baby you can good pregnancy life care center in your area. The people there should be able to give you info on where you can get free/very low cost prenatal care. Good luck!

    Answer by missanc at 2:35 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

  • They do not need your father there for your appointments. However, I would tell him soon. It'll take the stress of keeping it a secret out of your life, and since it sounds like you want to keep your child- you should limit your stress as much as possible to keep you and the baby healthy. There are lots of resource centers everywhere- look them up for your area. However, if your father has insurance and you can get care from a good doctor- that is the best case scenario all around.

    Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 2:47 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

  • A child can't just make their own appointments with an OB. He's going to figure it out when the bill comes anyway!

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

  • The first thing you can do is to start taking vitamins. You can ask a pharmacists to recommend a good prenatal vitamin. They have ones that you do not need a prescription for. The next thing I would do is check into free womens clinices in the area. Most places have them . They can tell you what you can legally do in your state. In some states once a minor becomes pregnant then they have the right to make decisions for them and their unborn baby without the parents consent. This doesnt give you all the rights as an adult but ones that pertain just to medical care. I would also look for the number for WIC-Women Infants and Children- in your area. They can provide you with nutritional information and if you qualify with free food like milk,cheese, and fresh fruit and vegatables. This again will depend on your state whether your father has to be involved.
    Hope this gets you started int the right direction.

    Answer by berryhappy1971 at 3:36 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

  • As far as prenatal vitamins go you can get them at Target if you have a hard time taking the pills they have chewy vitamins that you can take that taste good. You should apply for medi-cal for insurance so you can be seen by a doctor, if your not ready to tell your dad about your pregnancy. I would encourage you that you are going to need your dad more then anything I wouldn't wait to long because you will start to show. I wish you the best and congrates.

    Answer by buterflies01010 at 6:13 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.