Clothing question/vent, what would you do

OK, so a friend of mine has a dd close in age to my dd. Hers is a bit of a bigger girl, not fat, but hefty. She has always had problems dressing her, mostly cause the dd is soo picky about clothing, not in a good way, for example, she can only wear stretchy type pants, if they are the lightest fabric(not just any pants) jeans -forget it they cant find any that fit(I thnk the mom just is lazy and wont find any, or take the time to find ones, or get them hemmed or whatever) she hates wearing any shoes except flip flops and her mom will just let her wear those to school, even if she is getting in trouble cause they cant wear flip flops for gym class...the moms attitude is " oh well, I dont have time to worry about it, she just whines about shopping" So now would you A)- take the time to properly fit you dd, help her find things that will fit, shoes, to look decent, or let her wear the same things to school all the time??? She wears the same things all the time. Half the time the mom will let her go in her pajamas!!!
If that was me, I would say too bad we are going shopping and not coming home with out clothes!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• There is nothing wrong with stretch pants. I wouldn't hem my daughter's pants - way too much work for me, but I would make sure she had enough. She certainly needs sneakers.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:40 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• And how is the mom's appearance? Is she always neat and tidy with nice clothes? Or is she a slob like she lets her kid be?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:41 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• just shows the difference in parents. try looking online at clothes with mom and daughter to see what they like and can agree on then suggest they go shopping at try some things on..
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:41 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Are you asking what would you do if you are the parent? Or what would you do as the FRIEND of that parent?

As the friend.. I'd stay out of it unless asked for help. Doesn't sound like your suggestions would be graciously received.

As the parent... I'd toss the flip flops and ONLY offer regular shoes. The rest? I wouldn't worry about.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Oh... the pajamas wouldn't be allowed, however.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Kids should always look their best for school. And should always have what they need, like gym shoes! Thats the biggest thing kids get picked on is for the way they dress :(
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 2:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• All I can say is YEAH for schools that have uniforms, they all wear the same thing, they can't wear flip flops and in the end saves me TONS of money
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 2:51 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Poor little girl. She might be comfy, but she'll get teased sooner or later for wearing the same thing over and over. I wish there was something you could say to give that Mom a kick start, but it would probably just cause her to resent you. Maybe you could shop thrift stores/yardsales, etc. yourself to try and find other options for the little girl and just show up with it saying "look at all the great stuff I found, I just thought of your DD when I saw it."
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 2:54 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Maybe this mom is carefully choosing her battles. I would not let my kids go to school in flipflops on gym day.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:58 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I let my kids have some say in their clothing , but I wouldn't allow them to go to school in flip flops or pajamas.

Shopping with my oldest used to be a chore, but one day when I'd had enough my husband volunteered to do all her shopping. She knew that his requirements would be MUCH less to her liking than mine. Her attitude changed immediately, and she's been a much more pleasant shopping companion ever since.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:16 PM on Mar. 22, 2011