How can I get my 7 1/2 year to sleep in her room.

We have tried everything possible to get her to sleep in her but she will not she say she is scared she will sleep on the couch

bigmamapacheco

Asked by bigmamapacheco at 3:22 PM on Jul. 9, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Wow, I thought my son was the only one who does that. Most nights he either sleeps on the couch or in my room. He is 7 too and is very afraid of his room. No matter what I do.

I've sort of found a compromise. He can sleep on the couch once or twice a week but the rest of the time he has to sleep in his room. If he doesn't agree to this then he has to sleep in his room all the time. I sit outside his bedroom door until he is asleep (or mostly asleep). His door is open and the hall light on.

Seems to be working for now.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 3:33 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Lock her in her room..lol TOTALLY KIDDING!!! Im sure you have felt like doing that once or twice..I would ask why she wants to sleep on the couch, what would make her more comfortable in her own room, and ask if there is something you two can do together to make it a place she wants to be (such as decorate add special lights, like a string of x-mas lights or something like that) Good Luck
    Anonymous

• tell her that the couch is no place to sleep. couches and chairs are for sitting - if she is afraid ask her for ways she thinks it will help in making her room safe and unscary - DONT give her the option of sleeping on the couch - she knows you will give in to keep from making it a big deal so stand your ground and dont go back on what you say.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 7:01 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• going thru the same thing here, except she just turned 8,she says she's scared of her room, she will hardly go in there to play ~ maybe she saw something i dunno,but i just can't bring myself to keep her in there & watch her eyes fill with tears.
    tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 10:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• My sister had a couple of issues with her 4 yr old son sleeping in his own room (he has always slept with her). He said there were monsters in there. So being creative, she grabbed a can of lysol and told him it was monster spray. So every night she goes in there with him and she sprays the room to get rid of the monsters. Works great! LOL
    minivanmommy

Answer by minivanmommy at 1:30 AM on Jul. 10, 2008