I have a question..for young moms between 16 and 19

How did you guys tell your parents you were pregnant? I don't talk to my parents but I live with my husband and his parents and they are so loving and so supportive of everything but for some reason I am so scared to tell them Im pregnant. Any advice? And what are your guys' experiences with telling parents? Thanks =)

MikaylasMom18

Asked by MikaylasMom18 at 2:51 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• I was preganant at 17... and I was scared to tell my parents... but I told my mom right away (cause she would have noticed me hiding something from her) and I just did it like pulling off a band aid... then she told my dad before we got home so he had time to cool down before we got there. Not the best moment in my life but I got through it.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 2:59 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• @ Finkette- were they supportive of you?
    MikaylasMom18

Comment by MikaylasMom18 (original poster) at 3:02 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Oh dear, I was 18 when I got pregnant. I thought my dad would KILL my boyfriend...and then maybe even me. But, I told them, said I wanted to get married, and they told me they loved me and my life went on. He is now 25 by the way...and one of 5 delights that my children have been to me.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:06 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I was 17 when I got pregnant, and I just told my mom, she was supportive, I had already been living on my own for over a year so It wasn't like I was asking her to raise me and my kid, like some people are when they spring the news on their families
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:33 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I was 17 and hid my pregnancy for 3 months because I terrified to tell my parents. Mom caught me ditching school the day I had planned to have an abortion and was driving out of state to get one. I ended up not going through with it because I couldn't, when I got home I had no choice but to tell her.
    Neither of them were supportive, of course I was still in HS and not married...but regardless they were definitely against my pregnancy and wanted nothing to do with it.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• @ blessedwboysx3- do you still talk to them? Or no?
    MikaylasMom18

Comment by MikaylasMom18 (original poster) at 3:57 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I was 16 when our older daughter was born. My husband (then boyfriend) and I went to my mom first and told her - she went nuts, very excited to be having a grandchild. We told his mom together too. She went nuts in the other direction - threatening to cut "it" off and telling me I "ruined her gift from God". My parents were supportive, his mom's attitude never really improved.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:09 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• To my parents - not really, I haven't spoken to my dad in probably a year. He called me on my birthday but I refused to answer.
    I haven't talked to my mom in probably 6 months, I heard she moved but have no idea where she lives.
    I ended up placing my first child for adoption because my parents forced my hand. When I was pregnant again less than two years later, I was kicked out...I left. I don't have a need for my parents, sometimes its sad to not have them, but I just don't feel that they ever really loved me - if they did they would have been there to support me and not critize me and make me feel worthless, unloved and incapable. I find the support and love I need from my close friends, my children and my husband.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 7:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I got pregnant at 17, I was living with my older sister because my parents are deceased. My sister was a bitch, I knew how she was going to react so I brought my best friend, who left her car running, came in the house said I'm pregnant, and spent a week at bf's house.
    I've realized over the years...if you don't like, don't look.
    fawwn

Answer by fawwn at 1:36 PM on Mar. 23, 2011