Should I pay the full electric bill?

Before I moved out,I was living in this large 6 bedroom house for rent.My landlord was not very good. In the two years that I lived there,my electric bill went from 1500 to 8887!. He put the furnace in wrong, told me that when he was in the attic,he could see outside! Duh! Everytime we had the heat on,it blew cold air and I had complained to him more than seveeral times to check the furnace out. His answer? " Give it time to warm up"!!!!! So how long does it take for the heat to warm up???????

deafrose

Asked by deafrose at 8:42 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Money & Work

• YES, I PAY THE BILL EVERY MONTH. I ALWAYS SEND IN WHAT I CAN FOR THAT MONTH. IM ON SSD SO IM LIMITED.GOTTA PAY OTHER BILLS,FOOD FOR MY KIDS,RENT AND SUCH....
    deafrose

Answer by deafrose at 8:44 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• If the heat is in your name, I would think you'd have to pay it or risk having it turned over to collectors.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:45 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Yes, you have to pay the utilities if they are in your name at the property. You can always try suing the landlord to get reimbursed if something he has done has caused the bill to be unreasonable.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 8:48 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• You could probably take him to small claims court. But you'll have to have documentation. Do you have proof that the unit has been put in incorrectly? I mean other than that astronomical bill and being able to see through the roof?
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 8:52 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I would call your county building inspector to have an inspection done of the furnace and property. I would say a huge bill like that is going to tell you that it is not done properly and you should not be made to pay that kind of bill.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:56 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• $8887!!! That's crazy!!!!
    sunmoonstars

Answer by sunmoonstars at 8:17 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Those figures can't be right. I'm sorry, but there is a major error somewhere. Look into it.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 10:26 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• If the bill is in your name you will have to pay it sooner or later, you might as well just get it done. BUT if I were you I would call an atturney about the rest. If your landloard with neglectful he could be forced to refund you some of that.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:26 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• HEEEELLL NO!! I would not put up with that. That is ridiculous. I'd talk to the landlord. If I have a bill this high, get fixed, or I'm not stayin.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 8:22 PM on Nov. 27, 2008