Lobster used to be like spam! lol

Found this on Cracked.com and thought it was so funny/interesting I HAD to share.....not sure how to post links yet so sorry lol

It's no surprise that lobster didn't use to have much of a reputation. It is, literally, a sea insect. The lobster belongs to the same animal group as both the spider and the common bug, which should be your first clue. They were initially thought of as giant hassles that got in the way when fishermen were fishing for, you know, fish. You know in Forrest Gump when they first pulled up their nets and a bunch of junk fell out? The lobsters were the equivalent of that toilet seat.

The lobsters they presumably found crawling around the bottom of the fish bucket were originally what fishermen gave to their indentured servants to eat. People were so averse to eating it that they ground it up and used it as fertilizer, instead. Being seen as someone who had to eat lobster was something you generally didn't tell anyone until at least the third date.

British POWs during the Revolutionary War supposedly revolted over being fed too much lobster, after having apparently developed culinary Stockholm Syndrome from British food. Some states actually had laws against feeding lobster to inmates more then a few times a week, on the grounds of cruel and unusual punishment, as it was seen as the equivalent of eating rats.

Then How Did it Get So Fancy?

Somebody went and invented the railroad. Soon, rich people from the middle of the country--who were painfully unaware of what was cool--were tricked into buying the sea insects. But after tasting them, they realized that they must have discovered the long lost gatekeeper for butter.

Ironically, lobster is now a commonly requested food for prisoners receiving a last meal before execution

Taken from Cracked.com

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 3:17 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Guess I am pretty simple. I eat three two animals, two birds, and the rest vegetables or fruits lol. I don't dig into the funky bug stuff. =P

Very interesting post though.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 3:24 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Its still like Spam to me. NASTY! No bugs for me.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:19 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I love that! And it will be proof to my son his dislike of lobster is just good taste ;0)
    pammomof9

Answer by pammomof9 at 3:21 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• LOL my husband decided last year he was done with Lobster.That after years of eating it for special occasions he realized he was eating it because that was what he had been taught by his parents.He says what he thinks what he really liked was the drawn butter not the lobster.I have never liked lobster but love blue crab...no butter needed.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 3:47 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I don't like sea insects. I'll eat lobster in a dip or something, but otherwise, EWW! The only way I'll eat shrimp is deep fried because it takes the shrimp taste away. lol
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 8:08 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I have to disagree with it being like Spam. Here that stuff is worshiped. And I mean there isn't much people wouldn't do FOR spam. LOL.
    Anonymous

• too bad the prices aren't like Spam's . I could eat lobster everyday.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 8:58 PM on Mar. 22, 2011