Pros and Cons of Censorship. Do you agree with ratings of movies, music, TV, shows, etc?

MMXI

Asked by MMXI at 3:22 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I thought that the movie ratings were done by the Entertainment Industry,....not the Government. And without Ratings, how will you know if a movie is appropriate for kids? All this objection to Government interference is exaggerated . Relax,
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 6:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Censorship and ratings are two different things. Censorship is altering the content. Ratings just give a heads up what the content is.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:25 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I agree with JulieJacobKyle.

I have no issues with parents censoring what their kids watch. Ratings are a good guideline so parents don't have to preview the show/music/etc to make that decision.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:29 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I don't think ratings is censorship. As a parent I do like being able to make a more informed choice when it comes to music and movies. I can choose if I want to follow the ratings or not.

Anonymous

• Ratings aren't censorship.

They give consumers and idea about the content of the media they are about to ingest.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:38 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• ^ What they said.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 3:39 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• As Parents, we try and screen what our children watch. I don't need Government Censorship to do MY job. Ratings? I can take them or leave them... Shrek is rated PG, yet I have been to many a parent's house where they stick an newly released, never viewed DVD on, and walk away..... To each their own... I prefer to be a parent and take responsibility for my child.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:02 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• All this objection to Government interference is exaggerated .

No, intelligent people are perfectly capable of objecting to government interference. It's not exaggerated - we really object to it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:28 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Like the others have said they're two different things!! Censorship means someone has determined that you are not to hear or read something. Rating a piece of work simply informs you to the content, and allows you to make a decision that is best for you.

For example I wouldn't take my young children to an "R" rated movie, but rather a "G" rated one!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:32 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I'm all for ratings, but I despise censorship. It's near the top of my list of hated things.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 5:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2011