Make sense of this..

Do you think sacrificing his son was the only way for god to reverse the fall to sin?

If yes, can you still say that god is omnipotent, and all good for that matter since he is the one judging sin anyway?

If no, why should this brutal behavior be something that should be loved?

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 3:26 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Men (I refuse to believe that women were so stupid as to have participated in this!) created god in their image. God, in turn, created the things that were considered sinful (i.e., the men who created him did) and he created the bloody remedy for sin. In spite of all of this, there is still sin in the world and god's slaughter of his "son" was no solution at all. No more than the flood, or the fire and brimstone, or the plagues of Egypt were solutions. It made not one bit of difference to the world. Where is the mercy? Where is the loving father? Where is the forgiveness shown a child just because they said they were sorry? It is nowhere in the bosom of christianity, that's for certain!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Clarity, I'm not here to pick an argument with you today, my fibro is making me feel far too bad for that. I know your beliefs,and you know mine. However, for those of us who believe, we KNOW that God was not only the Father, Jesus was yes, God's Son, but He was also God in Human Form, and the only way to save us from ourselves,and do for us what we are unable to do for ourselves, was to be crucified,and take the sins of man upon Himself. He also, with that, proved He was indeed the Son of God, as well as He conquered death by being resurrected 3 days later, exactly as He said He would. As I said, I'm not looking for an argument, I'm just answering your question, the best way I can, with the knowledge I have as a Christian. Not criticizing you in any way. Hope you and I can keep this peaceful today. Have a great evening!
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 4:01 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Yes it was the only way. Yes God is omnipotent. God paid dearly with the life of his Son, the highest price he could pay. His love is not self-centered; it reaches out and draws others in. Jesus died the most horrific death that anybody could ever endure. He did that for you and He did that for me. It sounds as though (and I could be wrong) you are looking at it from a human perspective and not a spiritual one. It's not as though God allowed Jesus to be brutally murdered for nothing and then never saw him again. Jesus arose 3 days later triumphant. If we accept Him, we will be triumphant as well. O grave where is thy victory? O death where is thy sting?

popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 4:11 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• If you don't believe in this "myth" as you put it,why on earth are you asking about making sense of this? I don't understand why unbelievers post questions like this.Certainly no answer will change your mind,and you probably won't understand any answers from believers anyway.

I believe the tooth fairy is a myth,and I sure don't ask questions about it constantly.
    MistyBlueMom

Answer by MistyBlueMom at 4:09 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• There's one point missing: Three days after Jesus was crucified, He had risen from the tomb He was put in. Then, He ascended to heaven & sat at the right hand of God forever.
    hippiemama28

Answer by hippiemama28 at 3:32 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Oh, I know clarity, that it's a debate, it just seems like you and I tend to argue, rather than debate, and I just wanted to let you know that wasn't my intent. To be honest, I'm tired of all the arguing on here, as of late. Thanks for the kind words, by the way. And, I don't mind debating, I just don't want it to turn ugly. There's been far too much of that lately. As I said, I answered your question to the best of my ability, with the knowledge of God,Jesus,and The Word of God I have. Sorry, should have clairified that. LOL.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 4:14 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• What's clear to me is that nothing has been accomplished since this alleged demi-god visited us from heaven, aside from causing irreconcilable differences in the psychology of mankind.
    People weren't perfect before Jesus, and they're not perfect now.

To a follower of Christ, a very important prophecy was fulfilled from Genesis- the sacrifice of Jesus. And, you are correct, people are not perfect now. Christians await a better future with Jesus. Way beyond the present.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 5:09 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Ok, clarity, you have your beliefs,and I have mine. Just because they are different, doesn't mean your's are right,and mine are wrong. Just means they are different. I do respect your opinion, and your right to have it. Take care.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 5:10 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• If you believe in the Trinity- (which I do)
    then you believe that God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit are one in the same- he sacrificed himself-
    And to sacrifice yourself for someone or something you love and/or believe in is honorable- just ask the families of soldiers, police officers and others that have-

soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 5:36 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• No, I don't believe in the concept of the Atonement, or in the idea of "original sin" or the horrible nature of man, etc. Not all of us (Christians) do.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:39 PM on Mar. 22, 2011