Pro's and Con's to taking your child to a Day Care Center?

jmgblair10

Asked by jmgblair10 at 3:27 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• They r exposed to other kids who r sick and they will get sick often. It costs alot. I'm sorry,I can't think of any pros to bringing your child to one. My sister had her kids in one and they were sick,alot!!!!! Moms do not keep their kids at home when they r sick!! Stupid!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:29 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Pros: Socialization and Routine
    Cons: Germs, Accidents.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 3:32 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Being around other kids is good, until those other kids get dropped off sick. My son who is 6 and daughter who is 2 1/2 months have always gone, and I hate it. If I had the option of staying at home I would in a heart beat!
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:35 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Many daycare centers follow a certain educational curriculum, so they also teach children. The sickness is only for the first 6 months to a year they are exposed to that many germs, whether it be in a daycare setting or school. My children rarely get sick. They get social interaction; my daughter is 8, and some of her best friends are friends she met in daycare at age 3 or 4. The cons are really the same cons they are going to have in school: learning bad behaviors from other children, increased exposure to illness, etc. Another pro, compared to a home-based daycare or nanny, is that you are not dependent on one person to care for your child; that person can get sick or have family emergencies, leaving you without childcare for a day or more.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 3:40 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Well I am a parent of a child who has been attending daycare since she was 8 weeks on (I am sure there are going to be plenty of thumbs down *shrugs*) I have to disagree they are not "strangers" to me and they are not "disciplining" my child last but not least my child has not picked up on any habits of the teacher because we instill manners and raise our child at home even though she is in daycare! I also do not think my child is anymore sick than my child's friend who has not attended daycare. I love my child's daycare and the key is to be INVOLVED and not just use them as a babysitting service. Our child has had the best experience in daycare and she is 22 months. I love here daycare and her infant teacher is also our babysitter if we need one. I have had no complaints and from the owner to the assistant directors to the staff know what we expect when it comes to our child! Not to mention there are cameras
    NewMayMommy_25

Answer by NewMayMommy_25 at 3:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Pros:

More likely to have an educational program in place.
    More likely to have a nutrition plan in place.
    Established procedures and routines.
    Licensing and inspections for safety.
    More playthings
    Well-maintained outdoor play area
    Multiple teachers to watch children
    Socialization for children

Cons:

Exposure to colds
    Risk of accidents
    Risk of poor teachers

Answer by gdiamante at 3:44 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• CONTINUED....in all of the rooms so at anytime I can log on and see what is happening during anytime of the day. As far as cons yes there probably are more germs.
    NewMayMommy_25

Answer by NewMayMommy_25 at 3:44 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• CONS: Germs
    other people raising your kids
    people teaching them things you wouldnt
    bad teachers
    mean kids
    no cotrol
    abandonment issues
    lack of mothers nurturing

PROS: Sorry none! school in Pre-K is for social interaction, as a mom of 5 little ones, we have play dates!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 6:31 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Socialization- PRO
    COn you kid is always sick, learns bad mannors and doesn't get one on one attention. Too many kids and not enough adults.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 1:22 PM on Mar. 23, 2011