Deacon marrying in the catholic faith

Has anyone heard that if a Deacon marries you in the Catholic Church its not valid. My mom heard that from someone. I got married 15 yeras ago by our deacon, now I'm wondering if its true. At the time we did meet with our priest for marriage retreats etc and he told us the church was now letting deacons marry people.

Not really worried about it just courius what other have heard?

choco_mom

Asked by choco_mom at 3:32 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes he can. As long as there is not a Mass. Only a Priest can preside over the Eucharist.
    daps

Answer by daps at 3:35 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• this is absolutely not true. i was raised catolic, went to catholic church every week and catholic school for 12 years. at my church the Deacon was almost always the one performing marriage ceremonies
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 3:35 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• "Deacons, like priests and bishops, are ordinary ministers of the sacrament of Baptism and can serve as the church's witness at the sacrament of Holy Matrimony, which the bride and groom administer to each other (though if the exchange of vows takes place in a wedding Mass, or Nuptial Mass, the Mass is celebrated by the priest and the deacon acts as another witness). "

The marriage is valid.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:36 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Thanks for the input I kind of thought so, kind of laughed about it, like "oh I am living in sin now??" LOL! Yes it wasn't a full mass.
    choco_mom

Comment by choco_mom (original poster) at 3:40 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I am sure your marriage is valid but if you have any questions maybe ask someone at the church
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:43 AM on Mar. 24, 2011