• In the Spotlight:

1 year old with a cold! need some NATURAL remedies!

my dd is 1 and she has her first cold! :-( im sucking out her nose every few hours and im doing some breast milk drops in her nose! her cough sounds really bad tho! we do a steam room about 3 times day and i have the humidifier set up and i do put some baby vicks on her at night! she also sleeps with the mattress propped up! she has been sick about 5 days now! anyone know any thing else i can do? any good natural remedies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Kids' Health

• All we did for our DD were some nasal drops and tylenol. She was fine a few days later, but she did sleep the entire time. But if she's still this bad into day 5, I'd be more concerned it could turn into an infection and I would take her in if she were my child.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 3:39 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Is her mucus clear or does it have a yellow color to it? Colds do not have a cure but if she has a secondary infection-ear infection pneumonia tonsilitis- then she may required and antibiotic.A sign of infection is yellow or green mucus and fever. Natural medicine is good but sometime we need a little boost to help the immunity. Something else that is common in this age child is RSV. I can be very serious and even life threatening. I would say take her to the Dr. just to be sure, especially if it has been 5 days and she is not improving. Good Luck. I hope she is better soon.
    berryhappy1971

Answer by berryhappy1971 at 3:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• she did have a small fever the first day, right now the mucus is a light off yellow ish, the part that is runny is just clear! its was worse the first few days now she is better than she was its just the cough that sounds bad!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:47 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I give honey like cough syrup. My DD will just take it right off of a spoon, when she was younger I would sometimes mix it with a little warm water in a bottle or cup for her, you could add lemon, too, if your little one will take it that way. That should help with the cough, and if baby is over a year then honey should be ok, try a small amount first if she's never had honey just to be safe. I have heard people swear that putting Vicks on the babies feet at bedtime to help with a cough, sounds weird but I have heard this numerous times from moms. And when my DD is sick I let her drink as much juice as she wants, eat popsicles, etc, to get as many fluids in her as I can to help flush out all of that mucus. Other than that it sounds like you have thought of everything else that I would be doing. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:56 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• honey
    mztxdelta

Answer by mztxdelta at 4:16 PM on Mar. 22, 2011