Do you think AHD is overdiagnosed?

I know it is a very real condition in many kids, but I obsess over my 4 y/o so much, I wonder if many people just jump to that diagnosis when some children just have an abundance of energy? Don't mean to step on any toes, it just seems that so many kids have the diagnosos lately.

elasmimi

Asked by elasmimi at 3:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• Both of my sons have ADHD. And I do think it is overdiagnosed. I think, however, that a large part of the problem is parents who don't want to control their kids. I have seen kids that the parent tells me that the kid has ADHD and I look at my kids and it's like "no frigging way." They'd rather just get the kid medicated than be a parent. I've even seen people who lied to the doctor about what the kid did and how things were at school and stuff, just so they could manipulate the diagnosis.

Sorry, that was a bit of a rant. But it really ticks me off because I see a lot people who try to tell me ADHD isn't real and that my kids just need more control, and it's because of these other parents that that happens, I think.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 4:29 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• i think it is because it seems to be all the reasons kids are acting up now
    goobersmom713

Answer by goobersmom713 at 5:27 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Yes. I had a teacher suggest I have my son tested for ADHD. I took him to a therapist because he was having some issues. The therapist was really nice and we saw him several times for a long period of time. He told he my son was nowhere near ADHD or even hyperactivity. He voiced his frustration at schools and even some parents jumping to the conclusion that any kids who shows signs of life have ADHD and NEED medication. I've seen kids who actually have ADHD. Completely different.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 5:29 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Yes I agree with you.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 3:45 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I used to think that until I learned more about it when my son was diagnosed by a doctor with it. I think more people say that a child has adhd than there are actual diagnoses of it. Its not diagnosed just because a child has too much energy. There are many other factors that go into it.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:47 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Big fat YES
    Anonymous

• I did think it was, but not so sure anymore as I'm starting to wonder about my 3 year old
    saraheline

Answer by saraheline at 3:51 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Yes I think it is and I have seen it with my own eyes. In my field of work Mental Health Outpatient Clinic mainly dealing with mental illness in adolescents..I sadly see this all the time. However I do think it is a real diagnosis just too quick to label children.

NewMayMommy_25

Answer by NewMayMommy_25 at 3:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Thanks ladies, I believe you understood my question. I also worked in mental health, and have seen kids who truly have ADHD, and then I have seen kids who just need discipline. I'm afraid mine just needs discipline, but we'll see how she does in pre-k. Thanks again.
    elasmimi

Comment by elasmimi (original poster) at 8:32 AM on Mar. 23, 2011