what does first recounsiliation mean?

I have 2 kids in catecism classes, trying to raise them up catholic. I was not taught religion until I met my husband, his family is catholic and he started taking me to church. Now as an adult, I am embarrassed that I am very ignorant regarding some things that I should know, and I am embarrassed to ask. Such as, recounciliation, my kids are suppossed to be doing this, and I'm not sure what it means. I think it's when they do their first confession and then have to go eat that white thing during mass?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• To be honest I know ABSOLUTELY nothing about Catholicism but I did find this if it helps any.
    http://www.americancatholic.org/Newsletters/CU/ac0800.asp
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:06 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• First Communion is when they are allowed to take the eucharist & wine as mass. This happens when they are in 2nd grade. Reconciliation is the sacrement of confession, which basically means they are allowed to go to confession. This happens when they are in 4th grade. Lastly there is Confirmation, which is the rite of passage from childhood to adulthood in the Catholic faith. This happens in 8th grade.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 9:51 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Reconciliation is Confessions. My 3rd grader's class is getting ready to take their First Reconciliation. Later this year they will do First Communion. My daughter isn't participating since she isn't Catholic (it's a Catholic school). But she still has to do all the activities leading up to the ceremony.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:29 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• is the 'white thing' the wafer/bread? just checking, i'm curious now, too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• The white thing is the wafer and it is technically called "the host".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I'm curious as to why it's called the host. That sounds like something I learned in Veterinarian school about animals being hosts to fleas or something. Sorry, it just sounds like an odd name for a wafer.
    T.C.38

Answer by T.C.38 at 10:58 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• The white bread is communion., the body and the wine is the blood of Chirst.
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 12:18 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I was raised Catholic and this was how it worked here. At the beginning of 2nd grade, we did our first reconciliation, which was the first time we went in and confessed our sins to the priest and did our penance. After that, we had our First Communion, which was the first time we took the bread and wine - the body and blood - of Christ. I was raised that you are not allowed to do Communion until you do Reconciliation, but that must be different elsewhere.
    MommyRust

Answer by MommyRust at 2:05 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Reconciliation is when we confess our sins to a priest . Communion is when we eat the bread and drink the wine which Catholics believe to be the true body and blood of Christ.

There is an excellent book called Catholicism for Dummies. It is a great book and very easy to read.

There is also the Catechism of the Catholic Church which tells you everything you need to know about what Catholics believe.
    Kelltra

Answer by Kelltra at 2:45 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Reconciliation is confession, the "white thing" is the Host, or the body of Christ received in Communion.

If you'd like to learn more, ask your priest about the Rites of Christian Initiation for Adults (RCIA).

Answer by gdiamante at 4:23 PM on Nov. 26, 2008