• In the Spotlight:

Christmas for a 2 year old..

What do you get a 2 year old for Christmas on a VERY tight budget? I am very stressed out. I just don't know what to do for him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am splitting $100 on 4 kids and a husband! Your 2 yr old will be happy with whatever you buy. Get some inexpensive stuff from the dollar store and lose the guilt, times are tough everywhere!!!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 12:41 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• What does he like? Look on Craigslist. You can find lots of nice things for cheap on there.
    Anonymous

• go to your nearest dollar store and buy trucks and cars they come in packs of five or more for around five or ten dollars, to make it even better take them out of the package and wrap each car or truck by itself. He will get the joy of opening more than one gift (and so will you) and be excited about all his trucks! if you dont have a dollar store near by thrift stores will sell them by the bag!!!
    MamaChamberlain

Answer by MamaChamberlain at 9:05 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Crayons, markers, paper ... toy cars ...
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 9:48 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Just a couple toys, books, etc from one of the dollar stores would be fine. A 2 year old doesn't know the difference. If you don't want to be stressed out every year, don't teach him to expect a ton of things for Christmas and instead, start some fun family traditions that he will look forward to each year. Our kids are more excited each Christmas about the fun traditional things we do than getting a bunch of gifts. Most gifts will come and go and will be forgotten over time, but the memories you make for your children will be remembered for a lifetime. Sounds hokey, I 'know, but it's true! It's easier to start small with just a few gifts now than to have to cut back later, after they've been conditioned to expect a lot. And you can get by easily if you're working with a small budget without all the stress!

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 12:28 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Crayola washable crayons! Best thing EVER. My son accidentally wrote on the wall and it came right off! Play doh is another fun thing. At Toys-r-us I got an 8 pack for $2. Target has some coloring books for $1 in the dollar bins. My son also likes golf balls. My son will be 2 in January and we've found that he has more fun with the boxes things come in then he does with toys. Good luck!
    Pregowithsecond

Answer by Pregowithsecond at 1:14 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• My daughter is almost 2, she will be 2 in February and so this will be her first Christmas that she actually kinda knows what is going on. I have no idea how to explain it to her, though! I am excited because this year halloween was fun, she just eventually 'got it' but I never successfully explained it to her. I tried to tell her and she never got it, but once we started trick or treating she just got all excited, SO I guess I should just let her discover it for herself.
    I am buying her just a lot of little stuff, like playdoh and colors and little books, but one or two big things. We bought her Elmo Live, and I think that will be her BIG THING since she loves elmo and the rest will be little stuff, maybe a Barbie doll. lol. But yea, 2 year olds dont understand how much things cost, so lots of little stuff each wrapped individually will feel like A LOT to them!
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 12:32 PM on Nov. 26, 2008