Part Vent/ Part Advice Needed: UTI

I posted about UTI pain over the weekend . . . thanks for your suggestions there . . . need more advice.

I went to Urgent Care on Sunday. The quick test said that I had a UTI. I was given Macrobid and told that the sample would go to the lab to make sure that the Macrobid was the right med.
Fast Forward to today . . . it is feeling like it is getting worse! Ughhh! I called the urgent care and asked if they had the labs back. No record. They gave me the name of the lab that they send their stuff to. No record of sample sent.
They started in with "If you are still having problems, then you need to get in touch with your primary care physician." To which I said, "They will need those labs to know what to put me on." They said they would call back in an hour.
I have a feeling that they trashed my sample instead of sending it in, and I am pissed. If I do a new sample now, it will take another 2-3 days to get it back, and it may not be accurate anymore because of the Macrobid!
I can't see my primary today because I am 45 minutes away, and I would need to arrange an appt and childcare in advance. Do I just go to urgent care again? I feel like I am being dumped.
What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Health

• Call your PCP and see what they suggest. (I know it's a bit of a cop out answer.) If the macrobid isn't the right med, you should still culture + even if you use today's pee. DH had a bladder stone for almost a year - they though he had an enlarged prostrate. He had urgency and discomfort and couldn't empty fully. It may not be a UTI.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 4:08 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Make an appt with your family doctor. Tell them your symptoms, what happened, and the meds you were put on. Dont go back to the urgent care. And drink a lot of cranberry juice and other fluids.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 4:05 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• UFC...sucks. I'm sorry but they have the rudest most unprofessional Drs!
    justalady774

Answer by justalady774 at 4:16 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• It used to get UTIs all the time. I am always given macrobid. It does take a few days before you start feeling relief. You can buy azo pills. They turn your urine orange, but they help give you some relief. Drink lots of cranberry juice and water. Avoid caffeine and dark fluids and baths. I would make an appt with your doctor.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 4:21 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Is it normal for me to still have symptoms? Does it usually take this long for the medication to work?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:15 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Thanks everyone! I saw my reguklar doctor today and she changed me to Bactrim DS and gave me some pyridium. Hopefully, I'll start to feel better soon.

The urgent care FINALLY admitted that they did not send in my sample AFTER they tried to pass off some of my old clean labs as Sunday's labs. I called them out on that one, and they finally said, "You are right. Your labs did not get sent in."

Huh?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:34 PM on Mar. 23, 2011