What would you do?

would you say anything in a store if you you saw a woman speaking harshly to her child?

"I am so tired of you today.."
"if you do not stop whining.."
"stop asking me for shit, you aren't getting anything"
"no, and can you leave me alone"

do you think of this as verbal abuse

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think of it as a very annoyed & embarrassed parent.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 4:38 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Mind my own business.
    CollegeMommy121

Answer by CollegeMommy121 at 4:38 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• i tell my kids if they dont stop whinning i was going to spank their butt.. is that abuse?! .. seriously would you want to walk around with our child whinning over everything .. could you ignore it?!!?

also say nothing, mind your business
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 4:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I do consider that verbal abuse - but it's called MYOB and I wouldn't say anything.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 4:39 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I would keep walking.

I'm not going to judge someone based upon what I heard in 30 seconds as I was walking by. Who knows that happened in the minute before I got there or even the hour before.

As long as they aren't beating their child, they are fine.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I tell my son that he should find a new mommy if he's going to throw a fit. I am joking. And i would think that parent is probably exhausted, tired, and annoyed. I'd mind my own business.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 4:41 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I work in a grocery store and i see things like this everyday.. I personally think it is too harsh... Kids need to be kids.. and if people can't handle it then they probably shouldnt have them! More patience is much needed in this world. I would say that they aren't really being abusive. But i think its really wrong of them to speak to their kids that way... Once they start insulting, demeaning, or actually hitting a child.. thats when i would step in. If i see a family like this.. i always try to smile at the kids.. and say something nice!
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 4:41 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I think that maybe that Mom had a hard day or is in a bad mood. I was sweeping the front porch and I sent my DD inside because she was driving me crazy. I told her that. I had a rough morning when my LO told me "no thank you" several times when I asked her to pick something up and throw it away. She also told me that she didn't have to listen to me when I told her to pick up her toys. I agree that done on a regular basis then it may be considered abuse but one incident is not
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:41 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I'd probably have a look of disgust and keep quiet, not my biz.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 4:48 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Okay! MYOB is what I would do too! We get spankings, NOT BEATINGS! It just depends on the person and I think that seeing something mild in passing you cant judge but if someone is BEATing a child get their tag number and you can turn them in without potentially causing harm to you or your family!! That doesnt sound shallow does it! I dont mean to come off that way if so! Eeeek!
    SlumberMom_Kim

Answer by SlumberMom_Kim at 4:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2011