Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My husband's cholesterol is 265 and he won't go back to the doctor!

What should I do? He's been working a lot and said he can't take off. I'm afraid he is going to have a heart attack! He is 33.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Health

Answers (8)
  • Make him get his will together. You can get one online at

    You cannot make him go to the doctor, but you CAN protect yourself and your children from his stupidity and doing so might just give him a wakeup call.

    Answer by gdiamante at 4:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

  • 265 is ONLY 10 points over where Dr's start to worry about the levels. If it was 600 750 or higher Id be worried, but YOU can add things like cherrio's and oatmeal to his diet to help bring it down. I wonder if your Dr gets $$ back for writing a prescription for one of the new cholesterol drugs. SOO many Dr's DO get $$ for pushing new drugs.

    Answer by vbruno at 4:47 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

  • 265 is high but it can be turned around with diet and exercise. He needs to eat more fiber...Cheerios, oatmeal, whole grains, whole wheat , fresh fruits and veggies. Mine was at 252 last year, this year it was 202, 2 over what my doctors use as a worry level. There is no need for meds at this time, if he can get it down with diet and exercise.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

  • Too many doctors get KICKBACKS for prescribing certain medications! I abhor that practice and think it should be abolished. The 1st thing that your husband should do is modify his diet, exercise some, and try and get it down naturally.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

  • You can't make him go to the doctor but you can start to buy healthy foods to lower his and your cholesterol.

    Answer by elizabr at 5:09 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

  • getting him on some magnesium preferably at a health food store and also some garlic gel tablets are good for that as well
    do what they others suggest and change his diet,if he is overweight he needs to exercise.

    Answer by MarGeee at 5:24 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

  • I think you should really try to encourage him to got to the dr. I know you love your hubby, And if he wont go. See if you can find a dr. That can come to you and dont even tell him that one is coming over.

    Answer by BUTTERFLY463 at 5:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

  • I agree with vbruno, just start making the healthy changes. Add whole grains, use skim milk and avoid the fried, high fat foods. He also needs to squeeze some exercise into his daily activities. Also, if he doesn't work weekends or nights, see if there are doctors with weekend or extended hours he could go too. Also, some pharmacies like CVS have the minute clinic that may be able to diagnose and treat high cholesterol and other things that go with it.

    Answer by Austinsmom35 at 7:04 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.