I bought fresh green beans at the store. How do I cook them in a green bean casserole so that they are done enough?

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 4:53 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I always use fresh green beans in my casserole. I boil them first...not all the way but just until they begin to soften. Sounds so good right now!
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 5:00 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I'd recommend serving them on their own or with a touch of butter since they are fresh, rather than hide them in a casserole. If you like your green beans lightly cooked, then bring the casserole to where it is bubbly and let it cook about 5-10 minutes. More for softer beans. A way to guarantee that they are cooked enough is to go ahead and steam or boil them lightly before putting in the casserole.

Answer by Bmat at 4:56 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• i would steam them or boil them first before putting them in the cassorole.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 4:54 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• If you are going to use fresh green beans, you might as well go all the way and make Alton Brown's Best Ever Green Bean Casserole.  No Yucky canned soup!

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 6:36 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I would boil them first. But if you dont all you have to do is check half way through. They should cook quick when cooked in a casserole
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:55 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Well you need to string them and boil them first (and break them if you want). You will need to boil them until they are tender then put them in the casserole
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 4:55 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Steaming them so you are not losing all the nutrients in them.
    mlgrob57

Answer by mlgrob57 at 4:37 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Steam them first
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:42 AM on Apr. 11, 2011