How can I help my son talk?

My son is 13 months old and does not even say one word yet. He babbles and everything, but not even a "mommy". Besides reading books, what else can I do? Should I be concerned?

CalebsMommy0220

Asked by CalebsMommy0220 at 5:09 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• make sure you say an object when you hand it to him, just talk to yourself outloud when you do things. keep trying, he will catch on but make sure you keep trying to get him to talk and dont just do everything for him. sign language is great for kids who aren't talking yet.. try a bit of both
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 5:13 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• He's 13 months, give it time.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Talk to him! It doesn't matter what you say, although I would shy away from anything you don't want him to repeat. Read to him. Hold pretend conversations with him, with pauses for him to "say" something.
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 5:13 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I also asked this uestion. sos amot 2 andh still isnt talking yet. He says a few things, and he alwasy fusses but they are never world that i can understand. Everyone just suggest that all kids grow and develop differently.
    BUTTERFLY463

Answer by BUTTERFLY463 at 5:59 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• No need to be concerned. label things as you use them and hand them to him, etc. It all comes in time.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Thank you guys thats reassuring. The reason I ask is because my son's biological father had Asperger's.
    CalebsMommy0220

Comment by CalebsMommy0220 (original poster) at 8:31 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• call the Infant and Toddler program through Health and welfare, they can send you questionares about your sons development and go from there.
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 8:47 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I started teaching my kids sign language and that helped my son Jaiden start using his words. I knew he could talk he just didnt want to. sometimes instead of saying the word and signing, I just sign and he will say it.
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 8:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I agree with everyone else, but one more idea to throw out to you. I am one of those Mom's who is pretty complacent about TV and I rip holes in most "studies" that show TV is evil, but the one thing that does seem to be pretty true is that watching TV, even an hour a day can delay speech. I don't know what your beliefs on the subject are already but it might be something you might want to think about or research on your own if it is something within your own family that you might want to alter at least temporarily as part of your encouragement to communicate.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 1:15 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I think tv is fine in moderation but my son has no interest in it lol so he never watches anything.
    CalebsMommy0220

Comment by CalebsMommy0220 (original poster) at 1:02 AM on Mar. 26, 2011