Why is the national guard deployed over seas?

I don't know very much about how the military works but why would the national guard ever be sent over seas?

Shouldn't they be here...guarding the nation?

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 5:15 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• They are legally deployed and have been many times. They are the nations first line of defense for domestic defense and disaster. IMO, they are too heavily deployed for the war efforts. They are a really cost efficient for the military though. Unless they are deployed they get very little pay and few benefits...an almost free army, navy, air force and marines...all waiting in the wings.

It is off topic...forgive me op...but I just want to add that I also feel these troops endure more sacrifices than active duty ones..many of them lose good paying jobs and sometimes their homes when they are deployed multiple times. Yes, they did sign up, but they did so for a SUPPORTING role...not to be de facto Active Duty.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:53 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• First, The National Guard of the United States is a joint reserve force of the US Military....  

There are a series of national Defense Acts that allow the Federal Government to engage in a quick responce deployment of National Guard....  IE~Most recently there is the National Defense Act of 2008....   "enables the President to call up the National Guard of the United States for active federal military service during Congressionally sanctioned national emergency or war. Places the National Guard Bureau directly under the Department of Defense as a joint activity. Promoted the Chief of the National Guard Bureau from a three-star to a four-star general."

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:27 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• It is a standing, trained army. Why not?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:20 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• the whole idea is to get our country in a position that we can't defend ourselves and thats what obama is doing,he is following the plan. I know it sucks and I'm a quite scared

Answer by MarGeee an hour ago
    ***********************************************************
    Oh my......LOLOL!
    And was he doing the same thing in the 60's when the National Guard was called up and sent to Vietnam, Southeast Asia?Oh, wait, Kennedy and Johnson were Presidents back then.
    Gee, MarGeee, you're a riot....and paranoid!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 6:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I'll ditto gg's answer ...
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:33 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Oh, boy. New Conspiracy theorist spamming every question with the same answer. Watch some youtube video (with no link). Sell crazy somewhere else. We're all stocked up here.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:57 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• This question has nothing to do with Obama.

NG was deployed in Iraq and Afganistan under Bush.
    UpSheRises

Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 5:20 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• How do you manage to blame Obama for EVERYTHING? Its hilarious!

Answer by minnesotanice

I didn't blame Obama for everything. Actually, i specificially said "This question has nothing to do with Obama". Read the whole post before you run your mouth.

What i was asking was why they are called the "national" guard if they are always being sent out of the nation.

UpSheRises

Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 8:59 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Our Military is spread WAY TO THIN to begin with so they are calling in guard to supplement the soldier numbers they need.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:54 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Oh..
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 9:56 PM on Mar. 22, 2011